1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I suspect my girlfriend has suicidal ideas. HELP PLEASE!?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Cheyenne, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Cheyenne

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone, this can be quite long but I'll try to get the most important stuff without missing helpful details.

My girlfriend recently came out -unexpectedly and in a forced way- to her dad. She was telling him how she's now going to stay in a dorm rather than travel to the university where we both study and met. He said that he didn't really like the idea, especially because "of your state". Confused, she asked what he meant. "You know you have some lesbian confusions going on." She froze. "You think I don't know about your redhead 'friend'?" She told him she is gay, he was mad and so on. When she got out of her car he said "take care of the young lady". Confused again she asked what he meant. "You know I know people on the street, I'm just telling you to take care of her..." yadda yadda yadda, and then he mention something about "I don't care if I go to jail..." and stuff like that. This, for both of us, was really scary, for he even knew that once she stayed in my house. Guys, NO ONE knew that, okay? So, you can only imagine how stressful this single situation was. At the end of the day, she was able to talk with her stepmom and she said that we could be calm about it. So, supposedly nothing is going to happen but we are still being careful. The day after this her mom knew, her dad told her of course, and so it was like hell in her house. She got out, we went to see the apartment we are renting, she went to work and was going to stay with some friends but couldn't so I ended up being the one taking her. We were going to stay together (wherever we could, for I no longer had my apartment, and the new one was still not available) but resolved it was better just to let her go home. She did, and things have been horrible in her house ever since. At first her mom wouldn't even talk to her, nor her stepdad. Her mom was furious all the time, throwing stuff and cranky. This has been going on for 2 weeks. Her mom has said that she is a disgrace for the family, that she disgusts her and similar insults. I can only imagine how hard, stressful and charged the environment is. And now is where the hard stuff comes.

That day that she got out of her house and I ended up picking her up from work, while we were discussing if she should stay with me (in a studio a good friend offered at least for the night) or if she should go home, she was mentioning her options and once she said: "I could go home, listen to mom and be in hell until we get the new apartment... If I don't end up killing myself first", or something very similar. I could just hold her tight and sweetly say "noouu", and she just smiled nostalgically. Not a thing like that had been mentioned until last night. Our phones were not working well so we ended up talking at 2:30 am more or less. She was really sleepy and tired, and then suddenly she said that she wishes this wouldn't have happened now, because I don't deserve to be with someone that is sad all the time, someone that can smile, and be cheerful momentarily but that is depressed on the inside. I told her that we deserve each other, because if e were with someone else they would have ran away a long time ago, and we are sticking together through all this trouble. Then, she said it: "I just wish it would all end" I said "what?" like I didn't hear well, and she answered evasively: "...nothing". I told her that I loved her, that soon we are going to be together and I will be able to cheer her up when she is sad with some massage and lots of cuddles. It seemed to make her feel better a bit. The point is, this is like the 2nd or third time she says or hints that she "doesn't deserve me". And today while talking earlier she said she was seeing a picture (i'll put it at the end) of a triangle that had the words "pick two"in the middle, and on the sides said "good looking", "intelligent", "emotionally stable". She giggled softly and quite sadly, and said that she only had two (wanna guess which two?): intelligent and good looking. She was feeling down today, she was feeling down yesterday. Most of the time she's feeling down, this whole situation is feeding on her energy and sanity. Guys, I love this woman! I love her! She's young, strong, beautiful, intelligent... She has made my days brighter and if in this relationship someone doesn't deserve the other, it would be me. She is more than what I would've dreamed.... and I don't know what to do! The last time I saw her was like a week ago, and we couldn't talk much -even less act like the couple we are because, mom- I was going to see her this past Wednesday (she was gonna go to the beach with some friends and we were going to take breakfast together, I couldn't go to the beach that day)but, last minute, she couldn't go out (reason? her mom wouldn't let her leave). I can't go visit her out of the blue because she lives with her mom and
    1. we are scared that her dad or the "people from the street" can/will attack me
    2. there's a possibility of her mom following us and discovering is she's going out with me and not her usual friends
    3. even if her mom doesn't follow her, and her dad/people from the street don't find us, she would have to go back, and we risk again being caught
    4. even if we get away with it that day, if her mom or dad find out she was with me things are just going to be worst at her house.

So, I'm dying to go see her to cheer her up a bit -hopefully this wednesday or any other day this week-, but meanwhile: what do I do!?!? I'm very worried, but don't know how to begin with the topic. I know that suicide must be around her mind, we both used to cut ourselves when young and both know very well the suicide ideas. I can recognize when someone is flirting with the idea, and I know she is. What can I do? What should I say? We are moving to the new apartment soon, but her parents still don't know. I guess they imagine she is not moving after all. So, when that happens, things are gonna be even TOUGHER! After that it will get better. Only her and I in a sweet, comfy apartment for both of us, studying and working, exercising together and fighting together like we have always done. But in the meanwhile, how do I convince her? I know, I am certain that things will get better, but I'm not the one living in hell 24/7, with constant tension and not knowing how I'll get to work and then back home (she doesn't have a car atm). Advice?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, since I'm sure it's the biggest thing on your mind right now - I don't know that I would worry about her killing herself. I'm sure that she's feeling some depression with everything happening around her, and I'm sure the idea has occurred to her. But it sounds like she's just thinking about it casually. Granted, it is a serious thing to think about, and if you think she needs some sort of help, well, you know her better than anyone on here. But not every side comment implies that something will actually happen.

The biggest thing I think I can suggest is finding her some sort of outside help - by outside, I mean outside of the situation, including yourself. This isn't because I don't think you can help her, it's just because you are part of the situation that involves her parents' reactions to her coming out. Inserting yourself too much into that struggle will just make her associate you with them/it, which I don't think you want anyway. Someone on the outside, however, can be more objective, is a safe place to dump whatever thoughts she might be having, and can help her work through this with her parents, to whatever outcome may be necessary. And working through it all on their own is, for better or for worse, something that they'll all need to do for the long run. Do you know about any counseling services she could go to? Maybe you could get some info from the university's counseling center (I'm assuming they have one). Offering that for her may be your best bet.

That aside, I'm also concerned about what is apparently her father's thinly-veiled threat. You need to make sure you are safe also, and while it's a delicate situation here, if you really believe you are personally in danger, don't hesitate to tell someone about it. Again, you're the best person to make this call, but don't knowingly put yourself in danger. Like the above, the best thing you can do is leave this between her and her parents. Just be there for her as a respite and a source of comfort when she needs it.

Good luck!

3. RainbowMan

This saddened me just reading it.

If you think that your girlfriend has immediate, actionable thoughts of suicide, GET HELP IMMEDIATELY. Call a suicide hotline (The Trevor Project comes to mind immediately), or if the situation is so dire that the situation is life threatening to her (or you - I'm concerned about these "people from the street"), get the police involved. Call 911 or whatever the emergency number is in your country. Don't leave her alone.

Does she have the means to commit suicide? You might want to make sure that she doesn't have the obvious things - i.e. prescription pills, guns, etc, which I understand might be difficult/impossible in your situation, but thought that I'd throw it out there if there's any possibility.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey is there a councillor or someone she can see at school, independently or with you? Perhaps suggest to her to call a help line, or you could call on yourself, I know you are trying to help her but its a lot to have on your shoulders too so perhaps they can give you some pointers or ways you might be able to help.
    Do you know any of her other friends, maybe you can speak to some of them and get them to help look out for her.

5. Cheyenne

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys! Thanks, thanks, thanks a lot endlessly! Gravity, it is true what you said. At this point I doubt she would try anything against herself (gloriously!) Still, I am being careful and keeping an eye on everything that could be related or trigger suicidal ideas and or self harm. Also, I've been doing my best not to push things. I don't know very very well her two best friends but they know each other since high school and they have spent time with her and take her out and stuff. That makes the situation less stressful for her and while she's with them I try to 'leave her alone' for the most part, a little text to let her know I care and see if she's alright, always keeping an eye on my phone for if she sends a text but not being an 'overly attached girlfriend'. It has been working good.
    Now, regarding her dad, she talked with her stepmother and she told we could stay calm about the whole 'take care of the young lady stuff'. Still, I'm being careful and don't walk alone/drive alone near her town (which is also where her dad lives), and I let my friends and parents amow where I am. I wish I could get a restriction order but I can't because nothing has happened so far, I don't really know who he is or how he looks (I've only seen him in a few pictures) and he didn't thread me directly so I have no evidence for anything.

RainbowMan, like I just wrote, I can't really get the police involved right now because I lack evidence :/ Nonetheless, her dad 'spoke' -texted- with her a few days ago and seemed less violent. We are hoping he just said that to scare us, to scare me away.
    Sadly, yes, she has the means to harm herself where she lives. I got scared for her because she is not unfamiliar with suicidal ideas and self harm. So far, nothing has happened and she seems way better. I'll suggest her to visit the university's psychologists now that we start classes again. But for now, everything is calm.

silverhalo, you pointed out something that I hadn't notice: it was too damn much to have in my shoulders! I didn't noticed until I was telling my best friend how things were going on and I broke down. I found myself saying "its so hard, because I have to be strong for both of us. I can't let her see me feeling down. Things have been hard here regarding my sexuality and gender identity, but I feel like I can't complain because it's nothing compared to what she's going through". Anyways, I was able to get it off my chest and I'm also helping myself. We just paid the first month of our new apartment and are hopefully moving in a few weeks.

Again, thanks a lot. You all helped me lower that stress I had, and see things from a different, not-so-nervous point of view. I'll post again when we move together and let you know things are working fine :3 Thanks again, and have a nice day! (Yes, I'm happy because neither of us is feeling down :grin:)