1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is $10,000 possible to save up to move out of my parents house with a roommate? HELP

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TyTy91, Jul 16, 2013.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is $10,000 possible to save up to move out of my parents house with a roommate? I need advice with Career too! I really need some career advice.

Staying "home" with my parents for a whole year or 2 isnt really an option! Im actually not in a really good place with my parents even though things are neutral right now it can last for so much! See Im gay and not into my parents religion, my parents are VERY religiously strict. (jehovahs witness). Growing up I couldnt celebrate holidays seeing rated R movies, ALOT of things including associating with people who are not in the same religion I am, thats why I really dont have alot of friends either. So I need to leave and finally learn to create myself and be myself. Ive told people my story for advice and I had a number of responses told and most told me that if they were me they couldnt live with my parents and that they would get the **** out the house ASAP! I understand if you dont understand of what Im going through because you dont know the life living in a devout jehovah witness house hold when you have VERY opposite beliefs. But trust me I cant stay here for another year I cant do it.

Right now I have a little bit over $7,000 in my savings and a couple of hundreds in my checking more like $200! Im putting most in my savings because I need/want to move out of my parents house. Currently right now Im a cashier part time at a health food store and I get paid $9.50 an hour I get paid almost bi weekly. Better than $7.25 but still isn good enough! So I make around $600 no lower than $600 a month. I plan on moving out early next year and my goal is $10,000 I plan on living with a roommate. I dont plan on moving out right now though.
    Is it possible I can save $10,000 towards early next year maybe like February or March? I plan to move out one of those months.

I live in Atlanta its cheaper than the major cities but it is getting expensive here!
    Ive been in and out of community college but its not for me. I plan on becoming a massage therapist part time so I can have some income enough to support myself and then intern at a casting agency for TV/Film on the side or take an acting class. I really want to work in the TV/Film industry in Casting really. So Im attending Massage Therapy School in this fall and its a 6-7 month program, if you pass the class the state exam you will be certified. Hopefully I'll get a job as massage therapist!
    During school Fall classes are from 8:30AM to 12:30pm Mon-Fri and then I plan to work after school from like 2pm to closing (8:00pm), 5 days a week going to school. But I am going to need to pull out some student loans because the program tuition books supplies all equal $10,000.
    Thats my plan but Ive heard that Massage Therapy the pay for a part time isnt enough!

What should I do look for another job? I don't mind being a receptionist? I dont know what to do for more income.

Should i just find a office job that pays a little bit more for a receptionist and intern at a TV/Film studio instead of Massage Therapy I dont know what to do now?

My absolute dream career would be around TV/Film but would be in Casting for casting actors and actresses for Film and TV and the other would like to interview celebrities with a microphone/red carpet interviews like things like that. I would like to be a "small" actor like having small parts in plays, movies and TV.

Plus for me its depressing that you see your former high school classmates who are now about to graduate college living on their own. I wonder how can they afford it. I dont know where I should move either around the city of Atlanta where Im at right now or move to a different city.

2. Kricket

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: Is $10,000 possible to save up to move out of my parents house with a roommate? H

I would recommend staying in Atlanta if you still want to stay in a city in general. Atlanta is actually cheaper to live than most cities. I currently live around Atlanta and if you were to find an apartment cheap enough with enough roommates, I'd recommend moving into a 4 bedroom or a 1 bedroom with another roommate. I've seen that with that option the rent could possibly go down to $400 a month (or at least that could just be around where I live). Definitely go apartment searching and see what you can get the most bang for your buck. If you manage your money right, I believe it could work out.

As for career purposes, I'm not exactly sure what's right. I feel like being a receptionist might be a better option just for now so you don't have to worry about school and you can save money for the future to figure out what you /really/ want to do. Also, instead of becoming a massage therapist, I'd recommend getting into health sciences or something to do with technology. There's a bunch of technical jobs in those fields that would probably pay more than a massage therapist and you're probably more likely to get a job.

And while you're figuring that out, make sure you continue follow your dream and look into internships in the TV/Film industry. Atlanta is definitely not a bad place to start, especially when they have film so many movies/shows down in the city.

Hopefully that helps, I'm not sure if this is great advice, but I believe if you keep at it and budget your time and money right, you could surely make it on your own sooner or later.

3. AKTodd

Re: Is $10,000 possible to save up to move out of my parents house with a roommate? H

How much would a receptionist job pay vs a massage therapist? Is being a massage therapist something you are really interested in?

My main concerns here are that you do something you will like and that the massage therapist training is going to mean you will incur thousands of dollars in debt. If the pay is high enough and you like it enough to potentially spend years doing it then that could be a worthwhile investment (what is the interest rate btw? You should definitely shop around on the interest rate if possible).

However, if the receptionist job will pay better, let you get out of your current situation faster, and let you pursue your dream (by being part time so yo can do the internship), then it may be a better option. Basically, I'm thinking you should look at the potential costs and payoffs. Run the numbers (inasmuch as you can at this early point) and see what looks better.

Coming at this from a completely different direction, if you're looking at going to school are there any programs for TV/Film you might do? A very quick google turns up both intern and other jobs in TV/Film in Atlanta (CNN and others being there). Maybe there's something you could do now or soon? They probably need receptionists too and if you do a good job you might be able to go on from there. Just trying to think of various options.

Hope this helps,

Todd