1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JET, Interac programs (teaching in Japan)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wandering i, Jul 16, 2013.

1. wandering i

I have taught once before in Japan and it is my goal to teach again. But I went through a private internship and at the time was presenting gender congruent to my sex. So I want to know- any gender/sexual minorities out there who have gone to teach through JET? How about Interac? How were your experiences?

I'm also wondering about hormone treatment while overseas. If you or someone you know has experience with this I'd be very grateful for some guidance or information.

2. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I've never done those kinds of programs, but I did spend some time in Japan. At least around a decade ago, LGBTs were not talked about. It just isn't a thing over there, and you simply DO NOT ask or tell. EVER.

3. wandering i

Thanks, I had a vague understanding that homosexuality is seen as a disease and oddly enough, gender transition (mtf) was seen as treatment for that. But I'd never heard the experiences of a trans person, especially a foreigner, navigating things beyond having the right name/sex on one's visa.
    I didn't really plan on being out while there, I just wanted to know about things like medical care and any legal concerns.