1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bible and people?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by questionable, Jul 18, 2013.

1. questionable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just wanna ask the opinions of the guys and gals here about homosexuality being a sin based on the bible if it is really true... And if I should just stick with what other people say that God loves every human being he creates with their own uniqueness...

Cause these things confuses me a lot
    I worry a lot about my future and about having a family :X

2. LD579

Short answer: it's not a sin, don't worry about it =)

Long answer: I'm definitely not the most qualified to talk about this, but the bible says many things. Basically, some of the more outlandish things are now disregarded, as society has changed and the needs and wants of have also done so accordingly. I could say much more... but perhaps I'll just leave it at that.

God loves everyone. Also, you can have a family still =) Besides, you're very young to be worrying about having a family :wink:

3. Fiddledeedee

Hm. Here's some links for you which may or may not be helpful; whilst I haven't done eloquent writings upon the subject, others have.

Our very own Aldrick talking about the Bible and homosexuality. This is a long post, which he's done a few times in different versions, detailing why the "clobber verses" used to condemn homosexuality don't actually say that modern gay relationships are wrong -- back then, gay sex was seen as degrading and lustful, but we now know that's not the case.

Carciofus of TV Tropes has a post on the subject too. He doesn't go into technical definitions of the words to try and argue that they do not mean homosexual acts are bad; instead, he takes them at face value but then explains why even the New Testament ones do not need to be accepted by Christians, and Paul himself would be okay with folks disagreeing with his writings.

Someone's going to mention the well-known talk by Matthew Vines. Like Aldrick, his argument rests on the idea that homosexual acts are not condemned, and he examines the basics of some of the original words. It also speaks of related topics.

This one is circulated as a video of a lecture, but that link includes the full transcript. It's also the longest of these three main articles.

That sounds best. :slight_smile: Creating you with attractions as fine as heterosexual ones but then declaring that you must never act on them wouldn't exactly be very loving of him.

Think a little bit. Christians can be Christians as good and true as any Christians whilst not accepting interpretations of parts of the Bible. Although I'm now an atheist and don't much care for Christianity, that is what I knew when I was still religious.

An example of this is that there are passages even in the New Testament which condone slavery/give instructions on slave treatment, but in our modern culture, we know that slavery is awful and its inclusion in the Bible is only because of the views of society at that time; we do not now consider slavery okay. The same thing can happen with Bible passages that condemn homosexuality. It doesn't mean that you don't consider the Bible the word of your god, it just means that you are using the compassion you believe God gave you.

4. Sr Francium

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't let them get too you, I bet many of them follow "some" lines from Leviticus, in all remember even Jesus said: "Why do you have to be so ignorant? Don't you know anything that goes into a man can taint him?".... apparently most Christians have a selective memory.

5. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The Bible points out something like twelve times in all 66 books that homosexual behavior is wrong: i.e., use your sexuality "naturally" instead of women with women and men with men. But it's way harder on hetero behaviors: i.e., men shouldn't look at women and drool over them. But Jesus never said ANYTHING about being gay, which makes me happy (I'm a Christian). And in the thousands of years over which the Bible was written, no one really had any idea that being gay was something inside of you, not something you DID. It was like, if you lust after someone and have sex with him or her, God is grossed out. But it never said anything about loving other people or gay marriage or anything like that. It condemns sex that doesn't come from love. That's a whole other issue, of course.

6. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The line I hit in bold, that's it. Ignore the Bible (a book man corrupted/created) and ignore all religions, or just ignore the anti-gay ones.

7. TGgamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    A question to ask yourself.. Does it really bother/influence you?
    I am not into any religion really. So there beliefs don't bother me.