1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality a sin?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Theatertennis17, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Theatertennis17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I recently came out to my very religious friend, and he's been telling me that he doesn't really want to talk about religious views on homosexuals, but I want to understand. I have no understanding of why homosexuals are going to hell. Can someone help me understand.

2. Amerigo

homosexuality is not a sin, therefore homosexuals are not going off to hell. homosexuality is natural.

celibacy is not natural, nor is it natural to molest young children.

3. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The Bible points out about twelve times (in all 66 books) that homosexual behavior is inappropriate and/or an abomination to God. But Jesus never says a word about it, so I'm not afraid of my going to hell. And I AM a Christian. Also, the Bible says way more about "bad" hetero behaviors than about "bad" homosexual behaviors.

But for example, in the Old Testament, you'll find Leviticus pointing out that it's a sin for "a man to sleep with a man as he would with a woman", etc. And then in the New Testament, St. Paul says that men and women shouldn't use their sexualities "unnaturally": men with men and women with women. But in Biblical times - over those thousands of years - there was no conception of homosexuality as something INSIDE you. It was basically, "Lust sucks; be careful with who you have sex with." For hetero sex, mostly. And like I said, if Jesus had said more about being gay, I'd be concerned. But he said zip, so I feel good.

4. Adrian1111

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same situation when I came out to my friend. Basically the bible says that homosexual sex is a sin.

5. BelleLey

BelleLey Guest

I am an atheist so i never understood why religion would condamn homosexuality. To my eyes it is not a sin and it's all that matters.

6. chrisV

there is no reason. religion makes no sense.

if you are religious, don't take the homosexuality thing seriously. the same book of the bible says that eating shellfish is an abomination, and wearing mixed fabrics is an abomination.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, the Bible is very metaphoric about homosexuality, so it is not clear, and many fanatical types have chosen to interpret it the way the want, to support their fears, prejudices and personal convictions. It is also written by man, after the fact, and there are even different versions of it, with different New Testaments, to either play up or play down homosexuality.

Churches need a cause to rally behind, and since most murderers and bank robbers aren't free agents, they can find scapegoats who are free agents - the GLBT crowd. Otherwise, they wouldn't have much on their hands, and they need to stay busy. It's no surprise that church membership and attendance is dropping, in general.

When this subject comes up, the answer they give is that it's against God's will and law. When you inquire further, they can't reason any further than that. Most likely, it is upsetting to people because it involves acts which don't reproduce. Well, heterosexuals don't all want to reproduce either, and that's why there is birth control, vasectomies, and tubal ligations. So that argument doesn't hold water either.

8. eatsleepclimb

It was probably written because at that time it made sense. It's like if we wrote a bible now it might include "don't steal music online" or "limit your texting to less than 30 min a day" or something along those lines, and in 3000years everyone would be so confused because they are really only relevant to our time.

9. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any god that condemns love is no god of mine.

10. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Guest

If you believe in the Christian religion then yes it is a sin. It is described in the old testament as an abomination. But keep in mind that eating shell fish, wearing blended fabrics, and working on a Sunday are also all sins some of which are punishable by death. My advice would be not to worry about it. Live your life the way that's best for you and not how some random person from thousands of years ago wants you to.

#10 Red and Blue, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
  11. Abbra

Something people also need to keep in mind with the bible's laws is that they were initially created as a way to keep society from breaking down. That's how the shellfish thing got in there, because shellfish has the potential to make people very sick. Sexuality is very much in the same boat. At the time the bible was written, it was vital to have as many children as possible. Women could give birth to 12+ children and only have four survive, so it was crucial that everyone "did their part" so to speak. Homosexuality was probably condemned to keep the human race thriving.

Now, it's not so much. The world is rather overpopulated at present, and humans live for much longer. We don't really need the anti-sodomy rules anymore because society evolved beyond them.

12. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not a sin, bear in mind that man has twisted and corrupted the Bible for centuries. Jesus preached total love and total acceptance, and God himself is of the same. After I talked with the almighty, I know now that being Gay isn't a sin, but he just wants us to be safe and sensible about our sexual activities is all. Wear a condom, get tested regularly, stuff like that. I don't believe in the concept of sins, I just believe in right and wrong. To hell with any religion as far as I'm concerned.

13. findingmyheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly, I'm someone who grew up in the Christian faith and I do not think homosexuality is a sin. At all. First, I believe that churches and biblical interpreters have taken the verses that talk about homosexuality out of context and twisted them to condemn the LGBT community. When we look at the Bible, we need to look at not only the surface level of what is being said, but the cultural context behind it as well. I could into a lot more detail if I wanted to but the point of the matter is that almost all of the verses on homosexuality were talking about more than just homosexuality. There were usually other issues being addressed in those verses.

Besides, if the God of Christianity is all about love (as so many Christians preach that He is), then why would he discriminate against any type of love? :slight_smile:

14. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly! Thank you! <3

15. Dekenkaru

Dekenkaru Guest

Dude, I know how you feel,
    I came out to my 'friend' about me being Bi and he said that all bisexuals should burn and said that his parents don't agree with it so it must be wrong
    I just told him to get lost and don't talk to him anymore
    Life is too short to worry about things like that, if he can't accept you then he's obviously not a real friend and you should move on
    Hope this helps you and good luck with the future
    (*hug*)

16. LinkLarkin

I'm not religious so probably can't provide as accurate an answer as some of the people who've already replied. But, just to put it from a different perspective, some Christians (especially Catholics) seem to believe that sex is unnatural together. It's tolerated because it's necessary to create more slaves for God. But protected sex or gay sex have no reproductive potential, so they're just being naughty for fun which is immoral. Just a thought.

17. IdPreferEmerson

I never realised that before, but you're extremely correct.

I'm a Christian (I don't consider my relationship with God to be a religion, but a relationship.) but I have absolutely no problem with LGBTQ+ people, I am one.
    Jesus never had a problem with them. You know who he did have a problem with?
    Hypocrites, and the very 'religious' people. (Ahem, the Pharisees, anyone?)
    Eat that, parents of mine.

18. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes! I always liked that Jesus said you shouldn't judge or flaunt your religious beliefs.

19. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  20. Akane

First of all, why would any gay person wanna sleep with the opposite sex in the first place...the wording is iffy at best.
    Second, Paul was referring to the fact that these people denied God even though they have seen His works first hand. God let them give in to their own lusts.
    Third, simply, LOVE IS NOT A SIN.

Please, watch this video: The Gay Debate: The Bible and Homosexuality - YouTube

To be honest. NO one should be telling anyone how to life their life little lone WHO they can or should love. Christianity is a relationship with Christ in order to have a relationship with God, therefore, it is no one's business besides yours.
    The one thing that the Bible keeps repeating and what Jesus kept saying and even what He represents is LOVE. "The greatest commandment is to love." Also He says to obey the Ten Commandments and we are all human, and everyone even God knows and should know that humans are FLAWED. So no one but God can judge you.