1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling disgusted with myself?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Adrian1111, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Adrian1111

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not a homophobic person but I feel really disgusted at myself because I'm gay. Whenever I feel myself being attracted to another guy, I immediately stop myself and feel so ashamed afterwards and put myself down for it. It makes me feel like crap all the time. I'm not out to anybody because all my family and friends are homophobic. How do I get over this? :help:

2. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's not unusual to feel like that, dude. But please remember that being gay is just HUMAN, every bit as normal as being straight. I know I can't convince you of that, but it's true. And as you grow, you'll learn to love that part of yourself.

3. Adrian1111

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for replying. Glad to know that this is normal to some degree

4. AKTodd

You might start by asking yourself why you feel disgusted with the goal of determining the chain of reasoning that is going into the feelings. Once you do that you can attack that line of reasoning, either by seeing it to be irrational or by developing counter arguments to overcome it.

You need to determine the size and shape of the elephant before you can defeat it.

Hope this helps,

Todd

5. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll say that I personally struggle with having anti-gay feelings towards myself. I'm starting to more overall accept myself. As for your friends/family I shall say this, and please don't take this the wrong way; wait two more years and leave them all behind. People are slow to change and build acceptance/tolerance, and if it were me in your shoes, I'd go off the grid. Or alternatively, find a family member that you could live with that isn't homophobic.

6. Adrian1111

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys