1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to act in gay pride

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wells, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Wells

Wells Guest

Hey all,

I went to my nan's the other day with my mum and she asked her about a gay pride. As far as I know, she's wanted to go most years when my nan has, but we've only moved local to my nan. So now, we can go see it.

I'm not straight (meaning I dont know if im bi/gay yet) so I'm happy that we're going so i can learn a bit more.

The problem is though, whenever homosexuality comes up, on telly as if 'he's gay, isn't he?' or 'is she bisexual?' I feel quite uncomfortable and answer with an 'I dunno'. If we go to a gay pride then I'd feel extremely uneasy, as I dont want to let on my sexuality. I don't want my mum saying things like 'i'll support you all your life'. Man I'd feel awkward, so how do I react and act to these sort of things when they come up?

Thanks in advance. If you wanna ask anything then do and I'll reply. Please help out a confused kid like me :slight_smile:

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you could act however you want, however you feel most natural. If you're questioning, tell people you're questioning. Gay pride events (most of them, anyway) are usually far less predatory than people imagine. When I go to ones around here, there are as many same-sex couples with their children as anything else.

Why would it be awkward to hear that your mother is supportive of you, though?

3. Wells

Wells Guest

I mean going into any convo about me being bi/gay when im not ready to tell her or my family (no matter what I sat she would probably say to close family 'jkuhcdodr has just told me hes gay. What should I do. Dont tell him I ve told you thouhh) etc

4. Harve

It sounds like your mum might already know or have guessed though.

5. Bear101

One thing, that I learned this year, is that Pride is a big party. I went to pride, hoping to meet some people and begin developing a support system. It wasn't like that. It was more like a bunch of people just talking to their friends and ignoring those that they didn't know.

It was really, really hard for me. I went up to a couple booths of churches, and the people really weren't that friendly.

Someone, on another board, described it this way, "You went to a college frat party hoping to find out what kind of specialty support the college has." I realized that this was exactly what happened. Pride is just about enjoying yourself and having fun. Since I'm still trying to come out and feel good about myself, it really wasn't a good fit.

6. CuriousBunny

I've never been to Pride so I'm not positive, but I think you should just act normal. Meet new people! Enjoy yourself! That's what Pride is all about. Also, I understand your discomfort with your mom talking about supporting you. My mom does the same thing and I always feel weird when she says it.

7. leer

Hi wells . being British myself I sort of know what you mean @ 13 I hid everything I knew I was defiantly gay but people finding out scared the crap out of me I had mates but quite homophobic type . from what your saying about your mum it kind of suggests she has guessed that somethings up but is letting you deal with it yourself . as for the pride do You want to go to it is it a big event like London Manchester :slight_smile: or a smaller gathering would it kill you to have that little talk with your mum am sure she would support you and I doubt she has mentioned it to anyone else .x Lee :slight_smile:

8. Wells

Wells Guest

I think its fairly big, its in brighton. I think I still need time to find myself too. I dont wanna rush in though. Thanks lee, and everyone else too.:thumbsup: