1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT documentary?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dude00, Jul 19, 2013.

1. dude00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone,

So I wanted my straight friend to come with me to the pride parade a few weeks ago, but it was a no-go..he tried to make up some excuses for why he didnt want to go, but it was just obvious it would make him uncomfortable...which is fine I suppose. Anyway, one of the excuses he had was that he didnt understand why gay people even need a parade and that he also doesnt support the million man march or "carabana" a huge parade we have here in Toronto for folks from the Carribean. I think that is BS and just a cover but I want to either watch a documentary with him or send him one to get a better understanding of why gay people celebrate "pride". Unfortunately I still have a lot to learn and would benefit from this greatly as well. I told him we need to watch the movie "Milk" together...I know this has a lot of strong emotion in it and would be a great start, but does anyone else have any insight or advice/ideas?

Thanks!

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]osDckj0Dd3k[/YOUTUBE]

3. chrisV

:grin: daveywavey :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

4. dude00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for that link. Although I love DW as much as the next gay man, I dont think that video has enough foundation. I want the opportunity to have a solid conversation with him about the purpose of pride, and although DW's points are very valid I dont think it's enough....

Does anyone know of even a movie (doesnt have to be on youtube) about trials and tribulations of homosexuality etc..something that I can learn from but also share..something with a little foundation..

I dont know if I will find this in a video or not, but I want to be able to answer questions that he's asked me like why gay men dress like woman (drag), why gay people have/show a lot of feminity, why during pride gay guys dress in really skimpy thongs etc or naked??

Thanks!!

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Mhmm, I have a documentary that explains the pride parades here in the US, but I'm not sure about Canada. Still, its a great documentary that explain the start of the pride parades here in the US and it explains the importance of it all.

Here is the full documentary by PBS

Here is the trailer:
    [YOUTUBE]x5rSfS2tgyc[/YOUTUBE]

As for these questions, these are things that you can read more about in either queer theory books or just asking around here on EC.

As for your friend, try to find a parade that isn't "too crazy" for it to be his first parade. I know that usually Canada has more "family oriented" parades, but just a suggestion. He will be surprised as to how boring and "normal" most parades really are.

#5 TheEdend, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
  6. photoguy93

Disclaimer - I haven't actually watched this documentary yet, BUT.....I did read her book.

Anyways, Chely Wright. She's a country singer. She was pretty famous. But.. she was a lesbian. I heard about her book and let me tell you - it changed my life. I think about it often, because it gets me through the rough patches. She went through some really dark days. Her book is really about dealing with coming out and living with it. It's not really about the aftermath, more of the lead to part.

Again, I haven't watched the documentary but it was such a good book. I think it would help someone relate, especially since she understands the hate and judgement. Her book was fantastic, so give either a go.

Chely Wright: Wish Me Away Trailer (2012) - Documentary HD - YouTube

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great film - thanks!! :eusa_clap