1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The true sin

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Andstillimhere7, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, apparently being yourself is a sin in Christianity. I don't see how being gay is a sin someone could be good of heart and be good to everyone and be gay, why is that a sin? I know I've done a few bad things but being homosexual isn't a sin, it's you. I say a sin is what you do to others not who you are. And the jerk bullies beat gay kids because its wrong, oh right and beating someone else for who they are is. :dry:

2. LD579

Not all Christians view same sex attraction as a sin, such as myself. It's as simple as that. Unfortunately, not every Christian believes the same.

3. MathMan

that is something i could never start to understand..how can being sexual with another person who wants to be sexual with you a sin?? i never understood that one. like you said, it doesn't hurt anyone in the slightest.

it surprises me, how many people where i am from believe it is a sin punishable by hell..I mean, do they not have half a dang brain to think for themselves and realize that is total b.s...

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you reflect on your beliefs, you are already ahead of a good chunk of people, Christian or otherwise.

I'd venture to say that "homo=sin" is a gross misunderstanding of translated Bible passages and ancient customs. It was a different world then, and too many people don't seem to have a handle on just *how* different.

5. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I will say it over and over again.

The Bible is the word of God, but it is written and recorded and translated over and over again by mortal men, flawed mortal men, and with greed and avarice, or jealousy and bigotry, they have somehow come to a conclusion that homosexual people are punishable by death and that we are to burn in hell.

The word of God and his son Jesus Christ is the preaching of love, hence 'love thy neighbour'. And homosexuality, is just another form of love, in fact, it's just love. So I don't see homosexuality as being wrong, I don't see bisexuality as being wrong, I don't see transsexualism as being wrong, it's all just finding a way to love others and most importantly yourself.

I hope you find some reassurance in that.

Good luck.

6. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

Not religious myself, but I think 12 years of Catholic school might count for something. The reasoning is that it's immoral to waste sperm for anything other than reproduction, which is the same argument used for considering masturbation and birth control a sin. As far as I can tell, the root of all this is one passage (if I remember correctly, in kings) that I'll paraphrase here:

There once was a man who had a wife. They had no kids. Then he died.

Now, this leaves his wife a widow. Because women were judged by their husband and sons in ancient Israel, a childless widow was basically the scum of the earth.

The dead man's brother was obliged to give his brother's widow a child. However, he knew according to law the child would not be seen as his, but rather his late brother's.

This is some weird thing they did about the widow problem called Levirate marriage. Look it up, it was a thing.

Because he didn't want to have a son who wasn't legally his, he jerked off before he would try to impregnate his brother's widow. Then god was sad.

Someone who knows the bible better than I do might be able to pull up the actual story for me, but I can't remember the verse numbers to save my life.

Anyways, all later Judeo-Christian teachings against homosexuality, birth control, and masturbation (including others in the bible) seem to be rooted in this passage. Now, to me it has always seemed that this was a misinterpretation, and that the passage had to do with shirking your civic and moral obligations more than anything.

But so few Christians and Catholics actually read the scriptures they base their beliefs on that none of them bother questioning the teachings. To me, that's the true sin.

7. AudreyMarie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not the views, but the writings that preach against it sadly. It is funny how we still base a culture off of writings that are several thousand years old...

8. Incognito10

I am a former Christian, now not religious. I think you're line of thinking sounds like a perfect approach to "sin." Always consider other peoples feelings, physically and emotionally, and this transcends the topic of homosexuality. If this were the mindset of all people, think how better society would be.

9. Munyal

Thankfully, I am in a very accepting church, which is odd, considering I am in a rural town where most of the members elderly conservatives. Oh, well. My minister is 27 though, and when he was in seminary he was an advocate for gay right, so he's a pretty cool guy.

Our church doesn't talk about sinning, but this year I went to our church's (Disciples of Christ Denomination just so you know there are kind religious groups) sexual education camp, was completely open, and never had a mean word spoken against me. So to me, the true sin is an unwillingness to learn. Yeah most of that was off topic.