1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make friends.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by damn liar, Jul 20, 2013.

1. damn liar

So I realized last night I have 12 contacts in my phone... out of which 7 are family and one I've only sent one message to. I'm kinda lonely, how do you make friends?

And I don't mean 'how do I meet people', but rather how do you make them like you enough so they want to talk and spend time with you without making you feel like you're just an alternative to them?

Thanks! ^_^

2. Hexagon

I have that problem. And no, I don't know how to solve it, sorry. It seems like wherever I go, I just become a random acquaintance who people don't have a problem with, but don't care about either.

3. Night

Night Guest

You be yourself, and if people like you they'll stick around.

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i could do w/ advice on this too

i can tell you that this does not work
    my advice would be to be someone else

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speak to them. My best friend has become my best friend because she messaged me a lot during our early friendship (not obsessively, though. :lol: ). Text people, speak to them, ask them questions. You'll eventually spark a friendship with someone.

6. Night

Night Guest

If you pretend to be someone else, your 'friend' will eventually get bored of you if they don't like who you really are so in the end they'll treat you like an alternative until they can fully get away from you.

7. damn liar

Ah, I thought people'd give the 'be yourself' line.. and I know it's coming from a good place, but at the same time... being myself is what got me here in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Night

Night Guest

Then I'm going to be the bearer of bad news.

If you're being yourself, and nobody wants to be your friend, you either need to find new people to try and be friends with or figure out if you have flaws that aren't attracting people. Not that I'm suggesting you do have flaws, but if you don't and nobody wants to be your friend then there isn't any help you can get.

9. evora

I'm really not an expert on this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I think if you seem open with them and show interest in what they have to say, they'll like you, and if they don't then that's their problem.:slight_smile:

10. Wells

Wells Guest

I have the exact same problem. I have just moved schools and the 'popular' people took me in, kinda. I get along with some of them quite well, but not enough to say good friends. It might grow, it might not to be a good friendship. I mighta made friends quicker if I mixed with different people, but I dont find them as... Attractive, in terms of being friends. My advice is to make sure you get to know the right set of people. Or even person. Id rather have one best friend who im extremely good friends with rather than a wide circle of 'meh' friends.

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this problem!

As a rare extrovert (we're like a dying breed) I always have to set up the plans with my friends or they just fall off the face of the Earth! I mean, I don't mind setting up plans and all but I feel like nobody ever wants to set up plans with me because they could take me or leave me. When I get super depressed no one ever contacts me and I'm too sad to initiate plans.

Ever since high school ended my friends have been dropping like flies! I'm jealous of the people who find a friend that just loves them to pieces enough to initiate contact and friendship because I've always had to start them. :confused:

Sorry LoL I can't give advice but I can sympathize.

12. Hiems

I'm very introverted, so most of the friends I've made are people who initiated the conversation, not me. Anyways, I agree with you; I have always been myself, and that's how the people who approached me became my friends.

I'm not a social butterfly, so I don't feel comfortable with making friends in an active way. But I would say that if someone strikes a conversation with you somehow, that must mean that they are interested. Thus, taking advantage of that opportunity may result in a good friendship =)

13. Klutz

I'm a social butterfly and a nerd. Lots of people like me, but I find it hard to get close to people. It is a personal insecurity left over from an abnormal childhood. I don't want to be the oblivious one who thinks I'm friends with everyone, but is merely tolerated.

I decided to start meeting more people. How do you meet people? Do things. Join a billiards club, or volunteer. Go to a game night at your local comic book store. Go somewhere that people are that you will have a common interest to share. The talking point is already there.

As for the be yourself thing, would you want to be your friend? Why or why not and if you want to change, do it. Don't be someone else because trust is crucial.

14. srslywtf

I went through a time in my life like this, it was hard... Just hang on. Keep trying.

Maybe examine how open you are/easily you trust.. I had some issues with that regard - once I know someone, I treat everyone as a very close friend, but getting to know people, I find it hard to open up in the beginning. All of my friendships have come from times I was confident, honest, and shared interests.

Also examine whether you are initiating contact with someone youve met.. dont expect them to invite you out every time.. there should be a balance

but yeah.. sometimes it just comes down to waiting for the right people to come around. It sucks but it happens eventually

15. damn liar

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

@myheartincheck yeah, sympathizing is also great ^_^.

@srslywtf Yep, I definitely find it incredibly hard to trust others and open up, so I'm guessing that's part of the problem. I agree about the balance & do try to initiate contact myself as well, so at least there's one thing I'm doing right. I'd probably be willing to initiate contact up to 2/3 or 3/4 of the time if I wasn't afraid that they don't really want to hang out with me or that I'm bothering them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not an easy proposition. I find that my friendships have only been with people with whom I have a lot in common, including a general personal style. Outside of that, I don't bond with people that well. I see some of these Facebook pages with 750 to 1,000 friends, and I think most of the people are real superficial, or the kind who, for some reason, everyone wants to be their friend. My Facebook friend number would be considered embarrassing by comparison, so I'm rarely on it anymore. So, beyond "be yourself," find people you have things in common with, and with whom you can speak fairly freely and openly.

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think some of the golden rules is to be a good listener, don't be Judgmental & always show a interest in the other persons life, don't just talk about yourself & find a common interest that you share with the other person :slight_smile: