1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College LGBT club meetings

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lostlifeguard, Jul 20, 2013.

1. lostlifeguard

Ok, so I'm starting college in about a month (what? it seems so close) and at the moment I'm only out to a select few of my closest friends. I might come out to a few more of my close friends before the summer ends, but I know that I want to be fully out to everyone at my college so that I don't have to deal with the process (that's the hardest part for me, if everyone knew I'd be fine with that, it's just telling them that's the hard/awkward part for me).

I'm really wondering about what the LGBT clubs at colleges are usually like. I really want to go so that I could have gay friends, and because I feel like it would help me be more comfortable, but I'm also really anxious, so I have a hard time doing that if I don't know what to expect. Can anyone tell me what your first LGBT club meeting was like? I really mine may be way different, but I'd just like to have an idea.

I'm hoping I can find an out friend early on who I can go to the first meeting with so I don't feel as awkward.

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to one in college...that's how I met my first bf; we dated about 3 years, and are still really good friends. I can't say I related much to a lot of the more 'gay acting' guys there, though, so I did also feel sorta like an outcast, I was more the punk/indie sort.

I say go. There's much less of that weird pressure you see at gay bars, and I think it's also safer. I'm not opposed to gay bars, but they can be kind of dysfunctional places, in many ways, and I like groups like these better.

And don't feel too shy...I was scared, but so were a lot of others. You'll be fine! And you'll never know what friends you might make if ya don't.

3. lostlifeguard

Haha, thanks. I just keep picturing a sort of AA like scene where we all sit around in chairs in a big room and go around in a circle and introduce ourselves, "Hi I'm so-and-so and I'm gay" or whatever.

4. blueberrymuffin

There could be intros on the 1st day. At my college, it's more geared towards activism than a hook up scene or group therapy or whatever. So there was for example pickets of groups that funded the boy scouts. Being an introvert, it just wasn't a good fit. However, there are other ways to make gay friends. There will probably be some on your dorm floor and in classes, and just by meeting people, some will be gay.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's nothing that horrible! We had sofas and chairs at the group I went to, it was in a kind of lounge in the student union...between 12 to 20 people usually came, but it really varied. (This was at Michigan State)

But the idea of the chairs in rows and having to 'confess' in some musty church basement like the iconic AA meetings you see in movies and TV did make me laugh! These groups are not nearly as gloomy :slight_smile:

6. lostlifeguard

Yea haha, I figured. Well, hopefully I can figure something out to make a good impression. I'm pretty shy at first, or if I try to fake it and pretend I'm outgoing I just tend to annoy people and not be very likable. It's kind of a lose-lose :frowning2: Regardless, I'm excited for the experience, and hopefully there are more than 12 people there. That seems pretty horrific.

7. biggayguy

The first time was kind of scary since I was only out to four people. We had a nice class sized room in the student union with comfy chairs and a sofa. There were introductions and light refreshments. The number of people was maybe half a dozen. However, we grew with more visibility. Our meetings mostly focused on fund raising and networking with other LGBT groups. We also tried to create safe spaces for gay students. The best part was going out to a local show club on college night. (Unofficially of course.)

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My first LGBT group meeting was a bit different because I was the one running it, but it was fun and I met SOOO many wonderful friends through it all. The meetings are usually just like any other social club on campus and its usually not like a AA type of meeting. Everyone that goes there is there for friends, fun and food.

I have an album of what a small GSA at a community college in Florida can look like if you are curious :slight_smile:

Also, remember that there are more than one "LGBT" clubs on campus. There are many liberal clubs on campus like the College Democrats and Secular Student Alliance that can be very supportive and loud lgbt activists.

When you go to your first meeting try and talk to one of the officers after the meeting. Ask them for more resources on campus and ask them if there are any other LGBT friendly clubs. They should know quite a bit or at least someone who can answer those questions for you.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, you should go...after all, think of it: After college, you're never really going to have such a vast selection of boys! I met my partner in college(though oddly enough not at the GLBT club, where I met my is bf), and we plan to marry this fall now that it's finally legal.

10. Rolando4

I'll also be a college freshman in a month :astonished:. I'm so excited to go to the lgbt group meetings; it's about time I have gay/bi/lesbian friends. But I'm also nervous xD. But definitely go and see what it's like c:

11. CuriousBunny

I'm not in college yet, but I'm about to join that club for high school and I'm assuming that it's not uncomfortable at all and is just a place for fun activities.