1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got gay bashed yesterday :( First time it's happened

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Outdoorsy, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Outdoorsy

Lately I've been considering buying a motorcycle. A couple friends suggested that the only objective way for me to see if its something I really want to do was for me to ride on the back of one of their bikes. I took them up on the offer and we went riding for the day. Not long after we started we stopped for a soda at a gas station. This pulled in in this truck to get gas and proceeded to make vulgar remarks, wolf whistles and other such things. I just ignored him for the most part and after a while he went away. Lately I haven't been hiding my bisexuality as much as I once did. I've kinda adopted the attitude of "I like boys, so what?" The ironic thing about all of this is that the friend I was riding with is straight, has no idea I'm bi and the guy that did all of this had no way of knowing I'm bi either. I never though something like what that guy did would have bothered me so much but it did and now I'm worried about it happening more often. It's too bad he was such a jerk he was actually really cute :/

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't sound like gay bashing so much as he was ridiculing you for perceived femininity.
    Stereotypically when riding together, women ride on the back of the motorcycle while their husbands drive it.
    I think he was just making fun of you for "acting feminine" than actually suspecting your sexuality. Unless the vulgar remarks he was making actually were sexually-oriented (i.e. "fag," etc.)
    Still an awful thing to do, though.

3. whyme10

I am a biker and ride mostly alone. Trust me they were bashing you. F them. You are who you are. Just as I am. I play with and love men and my wife. I think you should get your own bike. But don't worry about what others say or do. In the crowd I ride with If you ride a Harley Sportster they will pick on you and say stuff like is that your wife's bike?
    I have had sex with the male head of a certain motorcycle club. It's not important which one. Bottom line we are what and who we are enjoy your life there are no stereotypes. Ride on:kiss:

4. srslywtf

We must have a different definition of bashing around here..

eg: 'bashing in of skulls'

5. Convoy

Yup; they were making fun of you, however I doubt it was specifically targeted as they would likely make fun of anyone who didn't fit their figure of being a 'man'. It's not really uncommon to see guys on the backs of bikes to be honest, at least in places with a more diverse number of riders.

Sure there are some gay guys who are with their friends and partners (I know some), however the biggest thing is that whoever said those remarks are not important and you should just try your best to live life the way that you are.

I wouldn't necessarily call it bashing however the homophobic and insulting remarks aren't appreciated regardless. It's not much of a stretch to go past that, given motive/opportunity.

Some people will mock/taunt you because you don't drive a truck, because you have too small of a bike, who you hang out with, what you wear, etc, etc. Thing is to just shrug them off and not do anything with them; they don't matter.

6. ttmab

Where I'm from the term is predominantly used in reference to violence, but it can be both.
    According to Wikipedia it is 'verbal or physical abuse against a person who is perceived by the aggressor to be gay, lesbian, or bisexual, including persons who are actually heterosexual or of non-specific or unknown sexual orientation.'

7. Outdoorsy

Thanks to all of you. That helped :slight_smile: I am considering my own bike now.