1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to have gay friends and a relationship too but Im scared to talk to most guys

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TyTy91, Jul 21, 2013.

1. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im 22 and gay, Ive never been in a relationship before but really want
    to be in a relationship though at the same time.:confused:

But I get Sooooo nervous and have anxiety in social situations.
    Sometimes with girls but not as much. However with guys its a
    different story I get SOOOOOO nervous around guys especially in my age
    range. I can hardly talk to them without being nervous, starting to sweat mouth dry heart pounding sometimes that dropping stomach feeling. :icon_redf :help:

Im a cashier at a small grocery store and I work right next door to
    the gym and I see alot of attractive looking men coming and leaving
    the gym. Sometimes a couple of guys would come to the store when they come up to my register I get nervous and hot almost
    sweating. :help:

You would think being a cashier being in social situations and I can
    be social with older adults esp women I do have my mistakes at times
    tongue tied esp

I'm scared of dating Im scared of conversations as in hearing silence
    and not knowing what to say.

Not to mention sex Im a virgin the reason is because my anxiety and my
    parents religion that I was brought up with and also I want to meet a
    guy who I would feel comfortable with, yet I cant even talk to guys.
    Its disappointing. :icon_sad:

Right now I just want to have a couple of male gay friends. But I think Im going to need a therapist to help me with this. Plus I need to learn social skills what to do in situation and what not to do in situations but still being yourself at the same time.
    Who knows the friends that I would make one of them could be in a relationship with.

2. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Re: I want to have gay friends and a relationship too but Im scared to talk to most g

Hm... you seem to be stuck.

I suggest a gay bar or any LGBT organisations, take your time off, or when you are free, you should go there are meet people. You'll probably be able to make gay friends there. But I would like to stress that the important thing is that you do make friends.

Since you are close by the gym, perhaps you should workout as well, maybe you'll become more attractive and it will save you the part where you have to walk up to someone and ask.

As for the guys who are attractive and walk into your shop, perhaps a nice, hello or a, how's life? would help alleviate the anxiety. Being friendly automatically attracts people and will help with your anxiety issue.

I think the biggest issue here that is preventing you from getting a partner or friends is your anxiety, just act friendly and you will attract people.

You gotta tell yourself what Elphaba told herself in wicked:

"...it's time to trust my instincts,
    close my eyes, and leap..." - Defying Gravity

I wish you well.

Good luck.

3. Gen

Gen

Re: I want to have gay friends and a relationship too but Im scared to talk to most g

Social Anxiety is 90% about confidence.

Are they going to like me?, Am I going to say something stupid?, etc.

Its not very realistic to think that you will ever get to the point where you completely don't care, as clearly the point of all of it would be to make a new friendship or relationship; however, the important part is to not think that we didn't immediately become best friends because I'm annoying, or he didn't ask me out because I'm not attractive enough. You have to wake up ever morning and love what you see. You have to think about who you are on the inside and find contentment in that person because when you come to the point that you do, no one or nothing can ever make you feel less than what you really are.

I used to get nervous in social settings or speaking to those I am attracted to, but at one point I just recognized that everyone in this world won't fancy me. Some will love me; Some will hate me; and I would be wasting a lot of time in my life if I keep stressing over which side the next person will fall.

4. Fellow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Exact same situation as you, but I have come to a decision, I am going to attend a LGBT group near college, also have issues with anxiety, however, after a really hard thought about it I came to the conclusion that I either live or I don't and since I happen to be a being living his life it might just be worth it.

5. CuriousBunny

Slow and steady wins the race. Work your way up to a conversation slowly. Start by just saying 'hi' or 'hello' to people at your register, and add more as you feel comfortable. Eventually you'll be able to talk to guys.

6. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

In a lump sum this problem is me also, except add to that my geographic locale that I can do nothing about. I just wish I wasn't gay then I'd not have to worry about all ^ that.