1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About feminism...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Steele, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I know that the vast majority of you here on EC identify as a feminist or are at least pro-feminist. And frankly, I don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this. For the most part, this is just something I feel I need to get off my chest and if anyone has anything to say in response, I'm willing to listen.

So, first, I have to say, I'm not a big fan of feminism...in fact, the word "feminist" carries a negative connotation in my mind. And over the years, I've come up with numerous rationalizations to justify my hatred of feminism, some of them reasonable, others not, but at the end of the day, it all just leads back to one thing: My experiences with feminists and as a male in this society haven't been good.

When it comes to oppressed minorities in this society, there seem to be a sort of "big 3": blacks, women, and gays. Speaking for myself, I'm a gay, white male. And as a gay person, I really have felt belittled, neglected, tormented, hurt, etc. and it pisses me off. I see straight people all around me with nothing to hide, nothing to fear, no issues fitting in, no issues coming to terms with who they are, and I envy them more than anything, to the point where it hurts. As a white person, I have never once felt belittled, neglected, tormented, or hurt because of my ethnicity. In fact, I genuinely feel that my ethnicity has helped me in ways that are unfair, and I hope that non-whites will one day be able to enjoy those same benefits. And while I cannot know what it's like to be black in this society, I have a huge amount of sympathy for anyone who feels belittled, neglected, etc. because of their ethnicity. But as a male...well, in all honesty, I have kind of felt belittled and neglected for being male, in similar ways to how I've felt belittled or neglected for being gay. The feeling isn't exactly the same because sex and sexuality are two completely different things, but the feelings have been similar.

When I was younger, I was told that it was my fault that women has to suffer so much in the past. I was told that it was my fault that women still have issues to face. And I was told that, as a male, I deserve to undergo the same abuse and mistreatment that women have had to go through. And I was so young at the time that I believed it. I grew up believing that I deserved to be raped, kept as property, valued less than women, and barred from pursuing my goals and dreams. I would even cheer women on whenever they belittled men in ways that would be considered sexist if a man belittled a woman. But once I got older and smarter I realized that I didn't deserve any of that and that everyone who told me the things they told me could go and fuck themselves, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. Additionally, around this time, I was studying women's issues in school and I found that almost everyone I encountered who called him/herself a feminist had exactly the same attitude as the individuals who told me all those things when I was younger. And every time the topics of women's rights or feminism came up, my brain would just kind of shut down and I'd feel like I was being left out or ignored.

Well, I felt pretty sexist for that. I felt like a sexist, misogynist bigot for viewing feminists as man-haters. And while everything I went through or was told wasn't justified, I didn't want to let a few immature, batshit insane feminists ruin my perception of feminism as a whole, so I decided to do some research and talk with people who identify as feminists. Well, none of it helped. I only found more feminists who...were incredibly hostile. Not towards men, but towards anyone who didn't think exactly like them. Even if there was someone who wanted the same outcome, a world where discrimination based on sex didn't exist, but had a different approach to solving the problem or had a different view on how exactly we got to where we are today, these feminists, not all of them, but a significant number of them, would relentlessly attack these other people. I also discovered a myriad of male issues that either contradicted what I was taught growing up or that I didn't know existed at all prior to doing the research. And when I sat down with feminists, in person, and tried to have discussions with them, they turned hostile pretty quickly, and some of them even justified what the feminists I encountered growing up told me.

I really have tried to see feminism in a more positive light, and I really have tried to see what kind of privilege I have as a male in this society, but, to be blunt, I just can't. I have encountered some friendlier feminists who I actually find interesting to listen to, but as a whole, that just hasn't been my experience. And as far as privilege goes, I don't deny that women have it tough in this day and age and have had it tough throughout most of our recent history, and I do recognize and acknowledge some of my privileges as a male, but I also feel that there are a fair number of privileges that I don't experience as a male that females do experience. And whenever someone tells me that I'm privileged for being male, well, I just can't help but get pissed off, because that's not how I feel. And for what it's worth, maybe my experiences as a male in this day and age and society aren't typical of what most males experience in this day and age, maybe I'm an exception, and I do know that most feminists claim to fight for men's issues as well, but again, that just hasn't been my experience.

I have managed to get to the point where I don't immediately judge a person who calls him/herself a feminist, but still, as a whole, feminism just doesn't sit well with me.

So yeah, that's what I had to say. I know that some of you will want to hunt me down and mutilate me for typing this out, but I'm sorry if what I said offended anyone, and I'm open to any responses that any of you might have. And again, this was mostly just something I had to get off my chest.

2. Gen

Gen

No, I think you are completely justified in sharing your opinion on this.

Personally, I am acquainted with many people on this site who consider themselves feminists under the grounds of actually equality for all and not more of a cis-female-bodied agenda. They are strong advocates that feminist don't cater to a specific group of people, at least "not really feminists", but I don't believe that this ideal is actually very unrealistic. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of people, feminist or not, see feminism as the fight for women exclusively. This was the ideal that it was birthed from, which is why this is the ideal is the minds of many today.( And why many argue that the name should be changed.)

I have no problem with feminist who teach equality for all. The problem that I have is with the ones who strike down everyone who believe that it should be in the name of equalism, humanism, etc, and don't believe that feminism is truthfully about equality for all from the perspective of the majority of other feminist.

It reminds me of when a religious person claims that another who is homophobic, sexist, racist, or something else is not really of that religion. "Well, he's not a really Christian/Muslim/etc". Though in reality he is. He might not believe what you believe. He might not paint a very good image of your community at large, but he is still of that religion. If I claim that all Gay Men are wonderful people, I can't claim that a horrid person or serial killer isn't actually gay to argue my claim.

I suppose in all my ramblings what I am attempting to say, is that it is still far too in your face, especially when everyone is clearly not the same page. "If you don't believe feminism is about equality, you are ignorant of the subject and your opinion is void." "You just don't know feminism.". Especially on this site, I am positive that everyone who considers themselves a strong feminists has the best of thoughts in their hearts, but I don't believe it is fair to claim that you must side with modern feminism to believe in equality.

You might have the best of intentions and the consideration for all, but it is clear from the responses that are being voiced about the treatment of non-cis-female individuals in the feminism community that many are not in agreeance with this idea that their fight is for all.

I am in no way against feminism; I simply disagree with the belief that their largely fighting for everyone and if you don't believe that than you are ignorant. For the ones that are fighting for everyone your amazing I applaud you, but I have found it to be a bit more of wishful thinking to claim that the rest of the majority of the community inherently feels the same.

Feminism is a bit of a controversial topic on here so I understand your hesitation. Though you should never be afraid to voice your opinion, because for every question or opinion there are always dozens out there who have been thinking the same.

3. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, Gen. I agree with a lot of what you said. I understand that not all feminists are like the ones I've encountered, and although I choose not to call myself a feminist, I have a massive amount of respect for these particular feminists. And, like I said, I don't deny the hardships women have had to face, and I'm in no way against removing any misogyny that's present in this day and age.

4. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I shall make only two points.

Point A: White people have it made in this world, hands down, and I don't give a rat's ass one way or another if anyone disagrees with this statement.

Point B: Actually I think us men (regardless of orientation) should be given those listed punishments that women must suffer through. I firmly believe in an eye for an eye, karma, and revenge. It'd be fair to women the world over that us men suffer as they have/do and perhaps men will stop being such great dicks and treat women properly. After all without women, men wouldn't be here now would they?

BOW BEFORE THE GODESSES!