1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lonely

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by john1b1, Jul 24, 2013.

1. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I graduated high school a few months ago, and my social circle vanished. Just gone. I now know exactly three people who I'm not related to, and for the last two months I've been excruciatingly lonely. I spend all day alone, and it's getting to me.

I'm afraid I've started to spiral back into depression because of it. I recently cut after years of not cutting, and I find myself dwelling on sad things more. I feel a lot like how I felt back when I was really depressed.

I usually don't mind solitude, in fact I welcome it generally. But I guess two months is a little too long to be off the grid, even for me.

I guess I don't have a question or anything, I just needed to get that out.

2. Taiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't say I feel as bad while isolated, although I do feel what you mean. Right now I'm in a foreign country, been here for two months, and it is very isolating. But I guess, you just have to find ways to combat that. Maybe find some friends to talk to on the phone or email...I'm sure they'd still like to chat to catch up. You say you have just three people...make the most of that! Maybe set up a time to meet up...if they are working at a store or something, maybe you can go bother them. :wink: Perhaps you can try to meet those friends and keep that friendship going.

Are you going to college in the fall?

3. theshybi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand. I can really relate. When I finished school my social circle shrunk and shrunk until it became nonexistent. It's been a few years since then, and it seems my social circle fluctuates from okay to pathetic, it all depends on the amount of effort I put in, but that's just in my case.

Hopefully everything gets better, and it's good to get things off your chest. Maybe try telling this to family that you feel lonely? Who knows, you might even feel better when you get it off your chest irl.

If you ever need a friend or someone to talk to I can't speak for everyone here, but I'm sure many people, myself included, are always there to lend an ear.

4. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I felt exactly the same when I graduated high school. My senior year was awesome, my self-esteem was higher than it had ever been in the past, I felt so ready to move on and go to college, and I just knew that my life was going to get a hell of a lot better from then on out.

Well, during the last week of my senior year, all of that just went down the drain. I thought I was just stressed, with graduation and all that coming. Graduation came, I still felt like shit. I felt like life was stupid and pointless and worth nothing in the end, I knew I was probably never going to see some of my old friends again, I was always lashing out at my family, and I hated it. I thought just had too much time to dwell and that things would get better once I started college. College just stressed me out and I felt even worse.

I think I was just going through a lot of big changes that I didn't exactly like and I was being introduced to a lot of new stuff that I wasn't used to. But after a few months, I started getting used to my new life and I started feeling better. I don't know what you're doing after the summer, but I promise you, just hang in there and things will eventually get better. Things won't get better overnight, but I was able to get to a point where I would honestly say I was happier than I was in my senior year of high school. And you don't have to go through this alone, there are people you can talk to, people who understand what you're going through, and they'll help you through this.

I know everything seems hopeless right now, but trust me, it really does get better.