1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious Trans*?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dylansheadplace, Jul 24, 2013.

1. dylansheadplace

So I'm a trans* guy and I'm actually at a church camp right now. So like I'm really strong in my faith with God, but I know that not many Christians are very supportive and I'm wondering if there is anyone who identifies as trans* and is still like religious. Any advice on how you did it? Because it's been on my mind a lot.

2. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I think the most common reconciliation religious folk make is "God doesn't make mistakes." You are the way you are because that's the way you're supposed to be. "What god could damn a heart" and all that.

3. Gregarity

One of my best friends is a transman and Mormon or at least spiritual(?), if that helps.

4. DDD11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Some christians R cool with it. Some are not. I think once doctors and such forth actually figure out why people are trans then christians won't bash them as much. They say being gay and trans is bad and stuff, coz that's wat it says in the bible BUT did U know the bible believes that getting DIVORCED is a WORSE sin punishable by death!!! But ppl getting divorced an remarried dont tend to get hate now do they???

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Honestly, I'm an atheist but I'm curious to know how this might pan out myself. As far as I can tell, there's nothing in the Bible that explicitly says anything about being trans*- though I haven't read the whole book, could be wrong.

My dad's Christian so I'm afraid of him rejecting me based on religion/his interpretations, as you might garner.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This thread on reddit might help you out. It surprised me how many religious people were open to the idea of transgender people. There were some people that see homosexuality as a sin that did not see being transgender as a sin. I found that surprising.

7. BreannaToBrian

I haven't yet outed myself as transgender to my church. I feel it's important to and I don't think I'll get too bashed for it. They've never said one hateful thing about the LGBT and has always preached to love everyone. The youth of the church have gay and bisexual friends so on top of that I think I'll be alright. They are very loving people, I just wish most of the Christians that are with the LGBT community outnumbered the horrible bashers that identify as Christian but are hateful as hell.

8. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am trans-woman and I have a very strong belief in my faith. I do my best to abide by the 7 virtues and do my best to avoid the 7 sins, though I don't always succeed, and I pray for myself, my family, my friends, and the world. I've been very blessed by God in situations that seemed impossible to climb out of and I don't think I'll ever lose that faith after all the blessings I've been given. I would never, ever push my faith on someone and I believe that all religions are correct, and I'm really not sure what I identify as, but I've found evident truths among all religions and one of the best is in the 7 virtues of Christianity: Diligence, Humility, Patience, Charity, Kindness, Temperance, and Chastity. I think people have lost faith in religion because so much of religion seems to be aimed at fixing the problems of the world through force and violence, but it's ok as long as people do good things. :slight_smile:

9. JakeFromNarnia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Man... The whole religious subject reminds me of the movie "Prayers For Bobby". I don't know if you've seen it or not, but I'd recommend watching it. ^~^ It's on YouTube.

10. lukeluvznicki13

God created everyone in their own special way and therefore He loves them.
    Christians and religious folk often tend to make up their own rules with their religion.
    I'm a Christian and I see it that everyone was created in their unique way by God and He loves them for who they are.

11. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    As a person who has studied religion, I do not see anything in the Christian religion that states anything about Trans-sexuality. So it could be THEIR Xenophobia going off.

12. BreannaToBrian

I love both of ya'lls' comments. (*hug*)

13. There is a website about trans* people that have reconciled their faith in Christianity with who they are. The website is www dot transchristians dot org. I found it to be helpful. I believe in God personally, and I believe in saints, and angels too. There's a lot that I don't understand as to the details about where the various religions differ, and why -- but I know I'll find out one day. I used to be a member of the Eastern Orthodox Church, but so far I have moved away from that Church and started looking more into the Episcopal church, and maybe I might look into the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America. The Episcopalians and ELCA seem to generally be more accepting of us LGBT folk.

I don't believe God made mistakes, and I know we are the way we are for a reason. Maybe it was to help teach others tolerance, compassion, and understanding? I can't possibly answer that but I know there was a reason for it. Granted I've questioned my faith a lot, and my mind has a tendency towards severe agnosticism where I doubt everything and anything. But even atheists need some sort of positive philosophy on life, and I'm afraid I'd be far too negative as an atheist.

I do believe though that if there is a god, and I think there is -- he loves us unconditionally. Human beings have always been far too afraid of what they didn't understand, thinking anyone who wasn't part of their "group" was "the other" and that threatened them. I would like to think we're slowly progressing to where we are starting to realize that we have more in common, than where we differ regardless of our religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, culture, or ethnic background.

Those are just some thoughts..