1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choices; the future for me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Azrael, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi. I'm young, I'm 16. I have an internal conflict within me. I'm afraid of my future.

A little intro about me will make things a bit easier to swallow:

I'm doing my IB (equivalent to A-levels) next year, I do 2 years of IB then I'm off to university. I am currently deciding on my university options.

My parents are conservative: my mother being a catholic, and my father being an ultra-conservative Korean. My father wants me to do economics or serve as a high-ranking military officer.

Problem:

For about a few years now, I've always planned that I will go to Uni and study Politics. But suddenly after some kind of revelation or Eureka moment that came with my sexuality and puberty I've changed, and recently I've been having doubts.

Ever since a young age, I've had a keen interest and passion for acting and singing (singing needs working on...). I've brushed it aside in the first place because I thought I would not be able to get a job if I majored in drama courses at Uni and take care of my parents when they are older and wiser (my parents kind of forced that idea onto me and I don't know what the reality is like). My parents are also not to keen on me taking such thing.

Then I turned to Politics because I wanted to change things, correct the wrong things. I am good at it, I understand a lot. By enriching this understanding of the world and how things work, I could advance in society. But I've come to realise, in politics you need connections to succeed, you need to corrupt and kill to get what you want. Initially I was fine with that, but now it seems so wrong and disgusting to me and I'm just not sure if I want to do it anymore.

Uni is coming in 2 years. I am completely torn and afraid. I do not know if I should be picking what I deem to be practical for my family and our upkeep; Politics, or to follow what I really want to do in the future; Acting in stage performances and Theatres, maybe even movies.

I really need help from people in the real world, from other adults who have had to face this choice in the past.

P.S. location wise I'm going to the United Kingdom for university, the most likely locations are London, Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol.

Thanks in advance.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    my automatic thought was to say "follow your passion" which seems to be dramatic arts... but there is nothing stopping you studying a 'serious' subject and having drama running alongside, there will be drama groups at uni, or in the towns you mention. Then you might have the best of both worlds a serious subject, alongside a lot of fun with drama

and a lot of great social life thrown in...

after Uni you can always review.. adapt...

you may pursue something completely different (many people do)

other people swap courses while they are at Uni.. this is quite common

so, maybe keep your thoughts fluid and don't be crippled at the 'big' decision... coz it might turn out to be a series of medium/ small decisions.

it is 2 years away and you may get a better feeling in the next 6 months...

best of luck !!

3. Holly

4. MrBrightside

Id basically agree with whats been said above. A joint honours could allow you to get the job you want/need but also keep a route into performing open. Remember though that there will be a drama society, and simply by taking part in that it can open doors to a career on stage or screen even if you do stick with the political study.

Btw, i do politics and international relations at university, and i wouldnt agree about your connections thing. Usually if you're good you go far, or at least in alot of political systems. :slight_smile: Also remember that alot of employers here arent massively interested in what degree you do, but more in the grade you leave with. Certainly where i am if you get a 2:1 they will consider you, regardless of degree :slight_smile:

5. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks to all the replies above, you've certainly removed a few worried from cranial-based network of neurons and fibres.

Maybe I'm just a pessimistic young slag on the politics things, I plan to do politics in the UK or use it as a home base to reach into the international stage.

Would it be better if I just concentrated on doing politics and join some form of drama society or do a joint honour's degree with?

6. MrBrightside

Im not sure what you're better going with. Id advise that you ask the careers service at the universities you apply to. Either way id advise you join the society. My flatmate does a drama society here and does musicals, and theres alot of gay guys tht do it. Personally its not my thing but its a good way to meet and befriend gay guys (in my experience).

Also check how the courses are ranked in the statistics to help inform your choice, and go to open days if u can, dont know if thats practical for you though.

You may well change your mind in the next year, i changed my degree this summer, so dont worry about it just yet :slight_smile:

7. Holly

I suppose Politics and Drama is an odd combination, but I suppose it's not an unknown one. Doing a joint honours degree therefore might limit where you can go in regards to Universities. The Drama societies at universities are generally very well developed, so it's definitely a way to go. I think it's if you want to study Drama, or just do performances.

8. apostrophied

I cannot in good faith recommend drama as a major if you expect to make a good living off it. :frowning2: Sad, but what can I say, the life of an artist is rarely a very financially comfortable one...

Do you have any interest at all in economics, or would you consider a bachelor's in that field as cruel and unusual punishment? If you could deal with economics, I would suggest a double major in economics and political science. That way you'd get what you want and your parents would get what they want, and it would broaden your job horizons. Do you think that's something you could live with?

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the age of 18 I did one year of a three-year program in professional theatre. After that year, I knew it wasn't for me. For all the celebrities and famous actors you see, there are thousands of starving actors in the shadows.

I would not discourage you from trying however, it wasn't for me but it could be for you, it's a question of: Do you have what it takes? and What are you willing to do to succeed at it?

On the other hand, you mentioned politics, and I get the impression you have a more solid idea of what you want to do there...maybe that is your genius expressing itself behind the curtains (as it were).

I believe there are too many lawyers who become politicians, but law is certainly a way into it. As the others have suggested above, there are various things to try and don't be afraid to "fail fast", if you see it's not for you, just stop doing it and move on to something else.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision making.