1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new roommate mistreats her dog. What should I do?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by oblina, Jul 26, 2013.

1. oblina

My new roommate moved in about a month ago and about a week later she moved in he bought a puppy. I've had lots of issues with her but this is just the sweetest shitzu I've ever met. But she doesn't train it! She works two jobs and locks it in her tiny room while she's gone because its not potty trained. She doesn't take it out or on walks, she doesn't even own a leash! It had two hard bone toys and that was it until I bought it some. She doesn't even have treats! And she complains about how sick she is of him being expensive. TODAY I CAUGHT HER SPRAYING IT WITH AXE BODY SPRAY AFTER SHE BATHED IT.
    R
    I love this puppy and he always wines for me when I walk past. I don't want to start stuff cuz she already wants to break the lease and move early and confronting her could put me at risk.

Is there anything I can do?? D;

#1 oblina, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. rose94

Honestly, report her. I'm sorry, but when it comes to animal cruelty (which this is) then it's a no-brainer.

Talk to her first, see if she can understand the responsibilities of owning a dog and that she's not living up to it and treating it unfairly. If she cannot see that then, the dog needs to go to a rescue centre and be re-homed.

The lease issue makes things complicated, I'm sorry. Talk to her about how she thinks she should look after the dog vs how she is actually treating him. Could you take over with training him when she's at work?

Bottom line- the dog cannot and should not live like this.

3. oblina

While I know that the dog needs to be taken better care of, I can't put myself out on the street either. I'm a broke college student and I don't have anywhere to go of I get screwed over because I'm from an abusive family I can't return to.

And I have social anxiety, so bringing this up with her( she's a stud lesbian and much more aggressive than I am) is really really difficult.

4. SomeNights

then call animal control. that's obviously animal neglect. does she at least leave food and water in that room the poor pup is locked in?

5. apostrophied

Ehh, sticky situation. I'm not sure that it's bad enough to report it (I'm assuming she feeds it [not giving a dog treats is not "neglect"], and you said she washed it), though I could be wrong. And you need to have a place to live. So, could you take it out for her? Feed it when she forgets, etc? I know it might be annoying, but if you want to have a place to live and you don't want to live with a miserable dog, that might be a solution. Just say something along the lines of, "Oh she's so sweet, mind if I take her out for a bit? I was gonna go get the mail/buy milk/get some fresh air/wtv."

6. oblina

@somenights I don't think you understand that I can't just call animal control on my live in roommate. She does leave food in there and does wash it, and she does take it with her sometime but not on walks or for bathroom breaks.

I have been playing with it while she's gone but how can I tell her without sounding offensive that its not going to learn potty rules until she takes it out and stuff? I told her I wouldn't mind walking him and stuff

7. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I'm not sure what to do other than call animal control or the cops, but this is an injustice I cannot accept. (I am a huge advocate of animal rights obviously) So all you can do other than calling animal control or the cops is to basically talk with her and say you're a bit worried about the dog and the poor animal's safety. If she refuses to listen, maybe you should try to find a new roommate and then report her to the authorities. Don't have to do it immediately if it comes down to that, but take the time to do so.

8. Sarcastic Luck

There's nothing wrong with locking the pup up. It's basically a form of crate training. Locking the pup up is a lot better than letting it romp the house unattended where it can chew on wires and get into all sorts of trouble. Hell, anytime the family is gone all day, the dog goes into the bathroom.

9. starfish

Sounds like you like like and care about the dog. I say offer to help take care of the dog. Kinda ducks that it is not your dog and you have to do the work, but on the flip side you get to spend her.

10. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love animals and I also understand your situation. We have a dog that isn't a shitzu, but when she was a puppy we had to keep her locked in the bathroom when we weren't home. We let her out when we were home though, so I'd say that it really depends on the amount of time that she isn't there to let him out. If she's there for a decent amount of time to let the little thing out then the puppy should be fine. I'd also recommend that if you are concerned then offer to help her take care of him. I'm sure she'd be more than willing to let you take some of the responsibility for the dog, and if you're still concerned when your lease ends then you do need to report her so she can't continue to mistreat the dog. Now I'm a HUGE animal lover, I've had all sorts of animals from turtles to parakeets and I see a bunch of people saying "Report her! Report her!" but from what I can tell this is not a god-awful situation. You have a few options of how to confront the problem and if I were you I would do them in this order:

First, offer to help her care for the dog. Make it clear you don't think she's incapable of taking care of it, just make it seem that you really love the little guy and want to help out of just loving him so much.

Second, if she refuses the offer of help then you should gently try to convince her to get rid of the dog and I'm sure that she will eventually decide it's for the best.

Third, if the situation is really that bad and the little guy is hurting and really needs a better home you need to report her and get him out of that situation.

It's as simple as those three things. You don't have to report her right now, just help her care for him until your lease is up and then you can report her if you still have concerns.

And don't let her spray him with axe. First off, it smells like desperate teenage boy and second, it could cause him skin irritation or other internal problems if he were to get any in his lungs or chew at his fur and ingest it.

#10 PurpleRain, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  11. oblina

Thanks you everybody for your comments. I'm glad that some of you we're able to understand that I can't put myself out of my house and into the streets. I'm going to try to help her train him, maybe tell her about my training experience with other animals and that it could really help? She's just so dumb I hope it works x|

Thank you again~

12. Rolando4

I think it's great that you're going to offer to help train/take care of the dog! I hate when people treat animals horrible :/. Good luck :slight_smile: