1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderqueer & voice pitch?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LabRat, Jul 26, 2013.

1. LabRat

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A question for those that identify as genderqueer/androgyne/etc: do you find yourself overly conscious and actively altering the pitch of your voice?
    I've noticed myself doing this for years and it has always bothered me. Depending on who I am talking to and which end of the gender spectrum I happen to be feeling at the time, I find I end up altering the pitch of my voice and when I get things mixed up I seem to dwell on it and it just really bothers me (ex: if I'm putting on a very girly image but a situation arises that draws out my more masculine side I end up accidentally lowering my pitch significantly and raising my volume). I've startled quite a few people doing that and it makes me a bit anxious that they're going to start suspecting something is "off" (I am not currently out in terms of gender identity). I've even begun to notice drastic fluctuations in the pitch of my internal dialogue.

2. Gen

Gen

Well, I would say that being genderqueer or androgynous is much more about being completely oneself, rather than trying to come across as genderless.

Especially when it comes to your voice, I would just advise relaxing and being yourself. It is extremely rare that any of us are actually going to have a completely gender-neutral voice. Just own your own.