1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passion

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by limeslam, Jul 29, 2013.

1. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone,

I feel meaningless. All my friends have something that makes them special. Some have soccer, football, swim, dance, acting, diving, etc. They all strive to be the best that they can be and strive to get there. Some of them have already been accepted to certain colleges 2 years in advance. However, I don't have anything that makes me stand out or feel special. I can't seem to find the passion in my life. I have student government, but that isn't too much fun. I want to find something that I can work really hard at and get better at so I can have that passion that I can do for the rest of my life. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

2. Taiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess it can start with a question...what do you like doing in your spare time?

3. srslywtf

Just try things and keep trying until you find one you want to stick with.

The point isnt to choose something you already know you like, just choose things at random, then if you start to feel a direction pulling you a certain way, follow it.

4. questionable

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmmm... Almost same situation here with me bro. I'm not good at any sport either, even though I'm tall I don't play basketball or even volleyball I just don't get my interests focused on them... But recently my school and my teachers discovered my gifted skills in writing and now I'm an official student school magazine writer and editor :grin:

You'll soon find the area where you can excel... It just takes time..
    Patience is a virtue. ^_^

5. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks man! Haha I honestly couldn't tell you. I always try to exercise more but I get lazy and give up. I have enjoyed editing movies/videos in the past. I even had a youtube channel before taking it down. But I find that very tiresome after a while. I think I want to try to find something thats different and new.

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 05:59 PM ----------

Thanks man. Do you have any tips on what to try?

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2013 at 06:00 PM ----------

Awesome. Thanks man! Yeah I've always really wanted to get into sports but as a kid i had severe asthma and allergies so I never got the fundamental skills for any sport besides baseball. But great job on the school newspaper!

6. biggayguy

Do you have any hobbies? People tend to feel passion for their hobbies. Sometimes they even turn their hobby into a living. Try a few things to see what you like. You could become a famous artist or writer or photographer. I have a passion for chess and play against people from all over the world.

7. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thats really awesome man! I've enjoyed making videos in the past but that has become tiresome. I do enjoy making up stories and I've made a few films with my classmates. But that again takes up too much work for it to become an everyday task. haha I really wish I had something to tell you. This summer has been taken over by YouTube, Netflix, and forums.

8. JakeFromNarnia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just a suggestion, if making videos got too hectic, why not mess around with Instagram and photo editing? Just a thought. ^~^

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have you tried learning to play a instrument or writing poetry or anything else artistic :slight_smile:

10. jolliver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Find something to do that you enjoy. There is no point living life bored an unhappy :slight_smile:. If you ever get knocked down by somebody, just push them aside and rise above and think positive. Don't let other negative feelings from other people affect your feelings. If you are happy with what you are doing go for it! But honestly, find something you enjoy and stick with it :slight_smile:

11. Capsaicin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people don't find that until their 20's, 30's, or later, or they change their mind. The more you live the more things you'll be exposed to that might lead you to what you're looking for.

If you like creating videos, you might enjoy writing. You can do as much or as little as you want every day, and it can go towards scripts, screenplays, fiction, blogs, journalism...

12. enigmeow

I guess I don't feel you need to have one thing. make sure that whatever you do, you turn it up to 11. Want to do archery? Go crazy for a month. Decide you want to try singing? Join a show... who cares if you cannot sing

You will be amazed at all the cool stuff you can do even if you only focus really hard for a single month. Just make sure that during that month (or 6 weeks if it is a show), you give it 110%

And somewhere along the way, you will find something that you want to keep doing

You are here which means you have my permission to do anything you want, even if it is not quite "socially acceptable" for your gender..

13. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah! I actually really love instagram and have focused my profile on good pictures. But recently that has gotten more stressful. I've gotten more followers, which makes me want to oneup my previous picture so its not as fun anymore. Haha i think way too into things.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 04:29 PM ----------

Haha yeah! But I quit the violin and piano, plus poetry doesn't really work with me. Haha oh well :slight_smile: I think I want to do something that either requires physical activity or interactions with other people.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 04:29 PM ----------

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

Very true. Actually my friends and I are beginning to work on some webseries. But they don't seem as interested in it so I doubt it'll carry through. Haha I sometimes wish my friends were more enthusiastic of stuff like that.

---------- Post added 30th Jul 2013 at 04:33 PM ----------

Awesome. Thanks man! Idk if I really want to tell my parents that I keep wanting to switch things up though. Maybe when I get my license? Oh, and school keeps me busy enough that I'll drop any hobby by mid-September.

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems that you might be geared towards media. What about sound design, visual effects, directing or even voice acting?

Have you tried acting? It doesn't even need to be a musical. There are places you can go to online to try out for stuff, and help people with their projects just from at your desk.

15. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Haha that would be cool. As for acting I was in drama at my school because it was the only art class that was known for being fun. They cancelled the class for next year though.

16. JakeFromNarnia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    XD I know the feeling. Just don't stress over it too much. If you aren't having fun and being you in your pictures, it isn't worth it. Just have fun with it. ^~^

17. TGgamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    For me, I've been gaming for 20 years. Im 22 by the way. It has always been a part of me and everyone knows me by gaming. I put my passion for gaming away after I graduated from HS as I wanted to go to college. I turned down a MLG (Major League Gaming) opportunity. I kind of regret it as I would have loved to be gone to be a professional gamer, but I didn't want to for a few reasons. I promised my mother I would go to college and that I didn't want to make myself sick of gaming.My passion isn't just gaming, but sharing my love of gaming onto others. I help others and train them. I'm a gaming guru. I hold true to myself though.
    You just need to find something that you like. Don't just focus on just one thing, expand it. You never know what you'll like until you do.

18. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hahaha thanks man. Yeah I always end up pulling down some pics because I think they aren't as good as the rest are. Haha oh well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 31st Jul 2013 at 06:56 PM ----------

Thanks for the tips, but nice! What type of games?

19. AAASAS

You mentioned video editing but getting tired of it.

That sounds like me with my music. It is my greatest passion, but I get discouraged at times when I can't seem to replicate the sound playing in my head.

Sometimes with your passions you need to step away for a bit, and return to it. Even if you love something it can still annoy you, possibly because you have strained yourself working on it or just need to do "nothing" for a couple hours.

I'd say return to video editing, take online tutorials, get better at it. But don't spend all your time doing it, when you get frusturated just know you have hit a creative block and need to step away.

You think musicians write their songs in one go; no it takes months. You think writers write their books or articles in one sitting; no it can take years. You think artists paint a picture in one sitting; though this is possible, alot find themselves returning to a certain piece before it is "finished".

So understand that a hobby or passion is just that and it isn't you, everyone needs a break from what they do, and no one is so in love with their passion that they don't get frustrated in it.

Frustration is a part of the creative process, accept it, and keep at those videos.

There are even websites where you can find contract work to edit videos, with little skill required, so that is another way to turn your passion into "more". Ever heard of Fiverr. I edit sound clips on there every once in a while, and turned my passion, into a way to make a little money. It's a good way to step away from your hobby, and do it in a different light.

20. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could join a Chess Club or a Bowling Club :slight_smile: