1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Collage really that important?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BuyTheStars, Jul 29, 2013.

1. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    -Dont get me wrong, I really would like to go to collage... but I was wondering, is there anyone out there who hasn't gone to collage and lead a happy, successful life?

My mother went to trade school and is a hairdresser who works on her feet all day long, only making around 25-30k a year.. -without my dad's child support we couldn't afford anything we have. She told me that it would be more effective financially on me if I went to a Trade School/ Junior Collage for 2 years and get a job that pays 50k-75k a year, then decide if I want to go to a 4 year and already be somewhat financially stable at 20.

My father is on the opposite end of the rainbow (See what I did there? :icon_wink) and want's me to go straight to 4 year, and work a minimum wage job. I still don't even know what I want to do, and living off dream's and spaghetti-o's for 4 years until I get a degree sounds.. not fun...

So I guess what I am asking is:

If you haven't gone to a 4 year (trade school's and JC's are okay), are you living a happy, financially stable life?

-and which suggestion do you think is better? Mom's or Dad's?

2. LD579

Well, there are a few options you could take.

1. Go into trade school
    2. Go into 'regular' post-secondary school
    3. Just work
    4. Some combination of the above.

Personally, I think school is very important for one's future. I'd daresay one would be remiss to not pursue some sort of education after high school for many reasons. One thing to consider: if you don't get into school immediately, it can get harder to go back. With that said, taking a year off, if you like, isn't that bad, and is an option.

I'm too young to answer your first question, ahaha.

I think both of your parents have good suggestions. What interests you? What job would you like to have? Have you worked before, and what were your experiences, if so? These are all rhetorical, intended to provoke reflection so that you can come up with a route that works for you. Good luck and I wish you the best. =)

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re-read the title of your thread, and consider the question again. :S

All joking aside, it all depends on what you want to do. If you want an advanced/managerial position, it's worth it to go to college. But if you are lucky enough to go into the family business or get extensive on-the-job training, it might not be worth it if you're doing plenty well without. I went to a two year career-oriented college, and thanks to my own bad decisions and unfortunate location, I'm looking at my third restaurant job soon. :/

Personally, being something of an academic, I think it's priceless for expanding your mind and being a better person. But intrinsic value of education is totally opinion also.

#3 Argentwing, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  4. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    -Toushe.. :wink:

5. OhSOCurious

Be nice. He means that you misspelled "College".
    College can be very beneficial for securing a future job, especially in an economically demanding era. Although you will owe a significant debt to your educators, it will be well worth it when you have a job you enjoy and get paid very well with.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope it didn't come off as too snappy, but SOMEBODY had to say it lol. I tried to give real advice after the quote.

7. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on what you do there.

8. BuyTheStars

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For my Mom's Play I am thinking Physical Therapy or Sonogram tech

With my dad, I really don't know yet... :/

9. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
  10. apostrophied

These sound like decent jobs. If you feel like you would be truly happy doing that (and that it would pay enough for you to live the way you want to live), I'd say go for it.

I'm in college right now, and much like you, my family is in a precarious financial position. I'm studying psychology. In case you didn't know, psychology is not a field in which you make good money unless you have a PhD. However, that takes time and money.

I'm now considering becoming a police officer.

I'm not saying that my degree is going to be useless, I'm glad I'm doing it. But the reality is I could live without it and start my career sooner and with less debt.

11. coreyl13

Stay in school an work part time.
    Working will make you mature fast.
    Stay in school if you go to a trade school you might get too comftorble and life begins fast.
    I dropped out to get a job and I've been working since I make very good money but I'm still paycheck to paycheck for now until I get things paid off. You become dependant on your job. Stay in school live carefree for four years.

12. I guess it depends on what your plan is if you don't go to college. I mean, going to trade or tech school might be a good choice for you, but I would make sure you really find out how many of those grads are getting jobs and how much those jobs are really paying. It would suck to find out that you went to a school where the credits don't transfer, you can't get a decent payin job in the field and now in order to do so you'll need a bachelor's. I know people that has happened to, but I also know people who went to tech school and are doing totally fine. I think the difference is researching the program and average outcomes at the schools you are thinking about.

13. castle walls

When you read the responses, don't forget to take degree inflation into account. This is a good example of degree inflation from a NY Times article you may want to look at.
    It was a lot easier to get a job and be financially secure without a degree a few decades ago. Now, a lot more places require you to have a B.A. or a B.S. before they even agree to interview you. According to the chief executive of Burning Glass (a company that analyzes job ads), Matthew Sigelman, this is becoming more popular among employers.

The way things are now I think it would be really tough for you to secure a 50K to 75K job with an associate's degree right away especially if you have no experience in the field. It really depends on the field though.

Do you have a field that you're considering under your dad's plan?

14. srslywtf

:roflmao:

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not for everyone. It's not even for some real, real smart people (think Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, RIP). It does help a lot of people, though. If you're in a major or field you don't like, it can be like pulling teeth. I've had friends who changed majors like they changed underwear. What are your aptitudes? Book learning or practical and with your hands? That's how you should decide more so than counting the money ahead of time. But that's just my opinion.