1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freaking out a bit!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jsmurf, Jul 30, 2013.

1. jsmurf

So in less than a couple weeks (more like 9-ish days), I'm going to move to St. Paul, Minnesota for law school. Feeling kind of weird because the idea of taking on a huge loan (i'm getting a 25% scholarship, but it's still going to be very expensive because it's a private school) makes me feel like I'm already crippling my entire future in the event that I end up being a resounding failure in the workforce. Then there's the fact that law school is many times more challenging and onerous than anything experienced in undergrad, and I'm worried about my academic success being far from certain.

Overall, it's going to be a shaky, uncertain 3 years of life. And then the hassle of accruing and then paying off a gigantic debt burden for at least ten years (maybe fifteen- that is, assuming continuous employment in a law-related field).

Add to that the prospects of moving to a completely different region of the US, replete with Siberian winters and little-to-no family or friends nearby.

Ugh... Need to find a way to pacify the butterflies. :tears:

2. Hiems

I can somewhat relate to what you're going through. I'm entering my first professional year of pharmacy this fall. The workload is a giant step compared to undergraduate years.

I haven't had much success with scholarships, and though I am receiving some grants, a fair portion of my education is being covered via loans. I can see the future now... me living in an old apartment while eating ramen noodles and canned tuna for years xD

Jokes aside, I suggest to be optimistic about the future and to give your full effort. When you earn your JD, you can pursue a career and become financially stable. It's definitely easier said than done, but when you reach your goals, you'll look back and give yourself a pat on the shoulder :slight_smile:

You could still keep in contact with friends and family via e-mail and Skype, if possible. And I'm sure you'll meet new people and make friends at your law school.

3. jsmurf

Wait, you're 19 and done with undergrad? :eek: You must be like super smart or something. :icon_wink