1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm scared...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GayTeen, Jul 30, 2013.

1. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't self-harmed in at least three years. But tonight I did it again, I scratched myself (with a pointy metal object) all over my thighs. I am going through a major depressive spell right now and I need help.

I don't know what to do! My parents have never known that I have done this before, and they don't know about my depressive tendencies. I can't keep doing this! I need help and support to get me back out! I feel terrible and unworthy of anything.

:help:

2. Batman is swag

No. You ARE NOT WORTHLESS. I don't even know you, and I can promise you that. YOU MATTER. You need to tell your parents. If you can't do that, tell your doctor or the school counselor or your teacher or a family friend. Ask them for help.

I'm proud of you for wanting the help you need. Hold on, IT WILL GET BETTER.

3. findingmyheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First of all, (*hug*)

I wonder, why don't you want your parents to know? They may end up being very supportive and help you through it. And since you're a minor, they may help you be able to get access to more resources to help you. If that's not an option, try to find someone to talk to. It could be a counselor, teacher, friend...

If I may ask, what do you enjoy to do? I would simply suggest diving into that and letting it distract you from whatever seems to be troubling you. I know that I may be making it sound simple. But I know that it isn't but I would just tell you to try and get your mind preoccupied with something else.

Just know that me and a lot of other people on this site are here for you. You're going to get through this.

4. ScootalooBanzai

(*hug*)

I just want to add my voice to the others here, for what it's worth. Sometimes, when you're young, or depressed, and you've been in the same place and talking to the same people all your life, you forget that there's 7 billion people on this planet, and yes, some of them are horrible people, but some of them are GOOD people, and they're worth talking to. The internet, when used properly, can be a window into the much, MUCH bigger world out there, and it can remind you one a daily basis that it doesn't just get better, it already *is* better out there, you know, over the rainbow as they say.

Sometimes these horrible people can make you forget that there things in life worth living for, and if you think you're so bad of a person that you need to hurt yourself then you've had the misfortune of seeing too much of the bad side of life.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't often feel the same way, and have, in my own way, harmed myself to a great extent--albeit, more mentally than physically. It wasn't until just a few months ago, at the age of 27, that I suddenly realized that I never set out to hurt anyone, I never killed anyone, I never stood by idly while others were being harmed. Maybe I'm not the best, most morally upstanding person, but I'm not a bad person, and didn't deserve to feel the immense, incredible, soul-crushing guilt every moment of my life.

I don't know if this will work for you, but it helped me somewhat just to put myself outside of my own life, and consider myself objectively. See yourself as you would another person, and wonder, "Does he deserve this?" For someone to be absolutely undeserving of love, friendship, and any kind of happiness in life that person must surely be superlatively horrible. When you're depressed, you sometimes feel like doing things to yourself that only the world's most evil people would deserve, and it's beyond ridiculous.

I hope this could comfort you the way it comforts me--just the patently ridiculous logic of depression.

Meanwhile, I hope I can help to show some of the better side of humanity. Hang in there.

(*hug*)