1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pubic Hair

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Roxie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Roxie

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I didn't get the memo that pubic hair was no longer acceptable. Five years ago my 17 yo daughter got out of the shower and was hairless. She told me pubic hair was gross. To me it was kinda freaky because it seemed prepubescent. I have always shaved some but not all. Is is so confusing. Some men like it, some don't. Thoughts???

2. MazalTov

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 21 and while I think it should be everyone's choice what they do, I do think that a complete lack of pubic hair seems prepubescent. But I'm one of the only people I know who thinks that way...

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An astute friend of mine once said "If you want to know what the straights are doing, look to see what the gays were doing several years back." Trimming body hair seemed to be the first step, followed by trimming the pubic hair. Now it seems equally split among those who "putting green" it (trim it pretty close) and shave it completely. Last time I saw numbers of this sort of thing (and I only saw it for men), less than 10% of guys don't shave or trim their pubic hair. And whereas, yes, it's a personal preference and all, it seems at least half of guys feel untrimmed pubic hair is a sign of poor hygiene.

Personally, I like my guys feral, and so I let it grow wild all over. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Roxie

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, MT!! You are really cool.

---------- Post added 31st Jul 2013 at 12:53 PM ----------

Lex,

Thank you for such an insightful post. You are the first person who has ever had an answer. It seemed everyone was doing it, but didn't know why. I like the comment your astute friend made. I'm going to send you a pm because I have a more personal question.

5. evora

I can't stand mine. I have to shave it otherwise I feel even more gross than usual. My body disgusts me anyway, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't shave as often as I do.:rolle:

6. Roxie

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Evora,

It makes me sad to hear you feel disgusted by your body. Think of all the amazing things it does. One of the best things about getting older is that body image becomes less and less important. Dr. Laura Berman has written some wonderful books about how to love and appreciate your body. You may enjoy it.

Cheers!

Roxie

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well public hair IS gross, no denying that, so I would prefer it trimmed or shaved on a guy. I'd rather not have to get out the dental floss after going down on a guy...

I still think straight girls generally shave down there because straight guys don't like a bush down there either. Not sure about what lesbians prefer though.

With guys there is an added reason to shave though, in that a penis looks bigger without a forest of hair covering half of it up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. rose94

Hi Roxie,

This is a bit of a pet-hate of mine actually. It does strike me as prepubescent and having been abused as a child, the mere thought of wanting to emulate that 'child-like' apperance in an adult situation. Just grosses me out to be honest.

I think it's kind of sad that people think they need to do it. Every adult develops pubic hair, why get rid of it when it's a natural and healthy thing? If you're clean and hygienic then that's all that is important.

Maybe that's just me?

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I'm denying it. Pubic hair is awesome. :slight_smile:

That's my take as well, but the fact is - we as humans are pretty malleable. Most women shave their armpits and/or legs. Why? If you dig back into the history of it, you'll find it's because we were told to. Not to put too fine a point on it, but if women have to shave, razor companies can double their sales. :slight_smile: And so it's been throughout history. Up until eighty years ago or so, people used to sweat. You know, like humans do. But now we do the anti-perspirant thing because...well, sweat, ew. Ten years ago, most guys were clean-shaven, and now I have friends who wear T-shirts proclaiming "There's a term for guys without beards - that term is WOMEN." :slight_smile:

Is the anti-body hair thing a passing trend, like the beards? Or will not-shaving your entire body in twenty years be considered some sort of gross fetish? No way of knowing. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. UndercoverGypsy

I don't think that men not having beards will ever go away. Lots of people find it much more attractive than having facial hair, and that's not changing.

11. MazalTov

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's sad that people have to shave in order to not feel gross about themselves.

I don't have the best body image, because the media is constantly telling me I'm not beautiful or I don't look the right way. But then I try and focus on what I like, and how I feel comfortable...and it's helped me be a lot happier. And I'm sure some day I will find someone who likes me for who I am.
    And if not, well that's okay. I don't want someone who would love me less because I forgot to shave or because I gained some weight.

@evora...it is hard to get there, but you can get there. love yourself. tell yourself a few things about yourself that you like everyday.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it's completely necessary. Shaving not only puts you at greater risk for bacterial infections, ingrown hair, and scarring, but like others have said, tends to look unnatural and prepubescent on most adults.

Trimming would be a safer alternative, and I, like many others, prefer some hair on our partners down there. I remember my ex had something of a cross between a landing strip and a triangle, which I found endearing.

Personally, I prefer trimming on myself, though there was a phase when I had to shave everything off. Still not sure why, just wanted to try it out, probably.

#12 gravechild, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  13. srslywtf

it's not about emulating being prebusecent, its just about not liking hair there.

I have patch of trimmed hair above the shaft, but none anywhere else. I'm considering going all the way though.

14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And I really should emphasize that point. I do love body hair, and I do think it's awesome. But I also don't think people who trim or shave are "wrong". I may think they're wrong if they feel they HAVE to do it "or else nobody will find me attractive", and if they're going to bed with me, yeah, I'd prefer they let it grow. But that's not my call, even if I AM going to bed with them. :slight_smile:

Lex

15. KrisBrooks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate mine! I used to shave it all off completely, then I took to trimming it and leaving cut very low. I hate letting it grow out.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a purpose, believe it or not, to pubic hair. It acts as a kind of wick for pheromones...but I trim it anyway, just like the feeling.

17. greeneyedgirl97

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a lesbian girl, and I shave everything, everyone I've been involved with has done the same. Call me closed minded, but i would have a hard time going down on a girl with pubic hair...but I'm also young so I have no idea what the trends are in those who are older then me

18. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just trim when it too long don't want a rain forest there lol.

19. June Cleaver

I have to fight to stop my partner from shaving his body completely! As of yet he has left it for me, but is convinced it looks bad. Really thanks to some of the women in his past who felt it was gross and told him so. I love hair on a man and find it so sexy on him. Especially his chest and stomach hair which he hates me to touch for some reason? I agree with others that the media plays a big role as well! June

20. Munyal

I think that it isn't gross one way or another, it is just personal preference. If a guy has pubic hair, why not? If a girl has pubic hair, same. And vice versa. I trim, just because that is how I like it.