1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've stopped caring....

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by findingmyheart, Jul 31, 2013.

1. findingmyheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've gotten so depressed that I just don't care anymore. I don't care about anything. It's all just one big ball of blahness. I just want to sleep all day but I have work and my family wouldn't let me anyways. I'm sitting here crying because I can't figure out what I want in life because all my life I've listened to what other people wanted for my life and not myself. This has happened for most of my life.

The one thing that used to help me was my religion. I felt like that gave me a purpose. Now that doesn't seem to work. I've seen how religion can screw people over and now I don't really want anything to do with it. I'm just done (not implying suicidal tendencies, but just over caring). I feel really needy putting this out here but thanks if anyone reads this.

2. Foxface

Well it's tough when it comes to depression. I am always a proponent of seeing a therapist. But if you unable to do so, I would recommend having a cathartic experience ONLY IF you feel you are ok with doing so. It won't solve everything I know that but getting it all out to a friend is a good start. If after you have done so you haven't improved or if any time you feel like harming yourself or killing yourself, go to the nearest Emergency Room

If you want an ear, feel free to yell at me

Foxface

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you care that you feel this way? Because if so - and assuming you don't want to feel this way - you can find support.

I second looking for a counselor, if you can - even a school counselor if that's your situation. There are a lot of options for finding someone to talk to. If you don't know where to look, just ask. :slight_smile:

4. AAASAS

What do you think you want out of life?

Really think about it, and you will get somewhere to start working on.

It seems you haven't deeply thought about your future, and what you think you can do.

It doesn't have to be full of accomplishments, just things that make you healthy and happy.

So what do YOU think that entails?

The only reason I am not following suit of saying go see a therapists, is because a lot of gay people are "depressed" but not "clinically", there is a big difference.

Regular depression is your body telling you to CHANGE your life.

Clinical depression is very rare and is a chemical imbalance caused by a variety of factors from glands in your brain to glands in your neck. The only way to treat this is through medication.

Again you can seek help with your depression, but I would go for a more therapeutic approach, and wouldn't want you to go to your doctor for medication when you don't need it.

Get tests done, see if you are chemically imbalanced.

If not, you need to start working on doing things for yourself, and to make you happy. Whether that is little by little; and I really mean little by little, try setting aside a piece of paper with a list of things you'd like to do for yourself, and you'd like to accomplish.

This will at least set in motion you getting out of depression.

Take a moment, evaluate your life, list here what you want with life, what you think is making you depressed, what you think you can't change, and what you think you can change.

I will respond back, but at least with that list you can see what are attainable goals, what you need to "get over" and what you need to start doing.

Getting out of depression usually means just doing SOMETHING, anything, from going to work to finding more friends.

Do you socialize enough? Are you lonely?

Are you upset about your physical appearance?

There are so many questions answers and reasons to why you could be depressed.

If you really feel that it isn't something you can slowly pull yourself out of, continue reaching for support hear, try anonymous help lines to ease you into the thought of seeing a counselor, and then maybe go and see one.

There are plenty of resources for free online, or via the phone, that can help you in your situation. Getting out of depression doesn't always mean going to see a therapist or being omitted to a psych ward.

Sometimes life is just TOO much.

FOR me, I find that HAPPY music is very therapeutic, which is SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO ELEVATE YOUR MOOD. I also find that getting sunlight is very therapeutic, and AGAIN SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO ELEVATE YOUR MOOD.

Try researching proven stress releasing methods, and mood lifters. There are literally so many, and the fact you can go outside or hit up youtube to help you out is comfort enough. I can attest to the fact that sunshine and music can turn my day from miserable to tolerable.

#4 AAASAS, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. KingdomKeyDK

Not caring feels better, but it will come around for you. It will smack you in the face with a lot of force. I agree religion changes people, but it was your only outlet. Don't give up on it yet. Don't give up on everything just yet. It may get better.

6. findingmyheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks, Foxface. I just don't have a lot of people in my life that I can talk to without feeling like a burden. :/

WooEEE, what do you mean by regular depression? And is it still regular if I feel this way most of the time? I know I should be asking a doctor questions like that and I know that I should get tested for this, that's why I'm thinking of going to a doctor soon.

Thanks guys. I actually do go to counseling but these past few days were just really hard. I just got so tired of everything and all these emotions. I have had these emotions for years and now I am at the point where almost nothing helps. What sometimes helps is:

Music
    Writing
    Nature

But sometimes my mood just gets to the point where I just can't do anything without feeling like I'm about to cry or faking it (which makes it worse).

7. Nick07

You have the whole EC to talk to. :slight_smile: When real life sucks, come here, somebody will always be here and listen.

8. AAASAS

Regular depression; I meant any kind of real life reason to be depressed that makes you depressed. Clinical depression isn't as common as regular depression; I know there is no real name regular depression.

The reason I call it regular is because everyone gets depressed once in a while and people can have certain things about their life they are unhappy about which makes them depressed.

This kind of depression is the real meaning of depression; or one the original ones besides meaning a dip or bend in something.

I think the media and our culture has been sensationalizing clinical depression and now the word depression almost brings up paradigms of disease and mental illness, when only a couple decades ago and since it's conception it meant just a low mood.

People often get diagnosed as depressed when they aren't and don't need pills.

Most people just need a better life.

9. findingmyheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok WooEEE, I think I understand what you mean now, thanks.

10. AAASAS

^

Just saying that you most likely are upset about your life situation, and the only way to stop that is to do something about it.

I have dealt with depression for years and I really know what it is like to just want to "sleep" all day and to truly not care about anything. This type of thought process can lead suicidal idealisation if you don't do something about it. For a good 3 years I thought killing myself was the only option because I really felt that nothing would change the way I thought.

The best thing to do is try to care about something or anything.

Even faking a good mood can put you in a good mood; this is proven. It is much easier to be happy than sad, and though you may not think this it is true.

Sometimes I feel I want to be depressed because I think about it so much and haven't really done anything to get better. But that is just because I have lack of motivation, and I hardly truly think about what I want, and if I really want to be feeling like this forever.

Ask yourself if you are ok with not being happy. Or why you are ok with not being happy. You will feel pretty good if you realize that you do want to be happy and that your mood is just you being stuck in a rut or a routine of being upset.

It is very easy to get into the habit of being depressed; especially if external forces put you there.

One thing I can suggest is try listening to music; this is proven to be a mood enhancer; but try to stay away from country and hard rock. These two genres are proven to decline your mood and even puts people into a depression; country music especially is depressing.

Second thing I can suggest is to try to eat healthier. A good diet can significantly improve your mood.

Third thing I can suggest is to try to get some exercise; again proven to improve your mood.

Fourth thing, get some sunshine, vitamin D regulates your serotonin levels which regulate your moods, sunlight is the best way to get vitamin D.

Fifth thing, fake your good moods. I know I suggested this but pretending you are happy actually can put you into a good mood. I know it sounds dumb, but I do it a lot. After "faking" it for a while I realize that I should just be happy and end up feeling what I am trying to fake.

Sixth thing, come onto this forum or vent whenever you can. Letting looose on your problems can make you feel much better. But do not vent about trivial and small things it is actually proven to be healthier for you to "suck it up" when it comes to small things that make you upset. Often dwelling on trivial problems can make them seem much worse, but if you have big problems, venting it all out makes it better.

Seventh thing, get some good rest. I know you probs already do, but try to get quality sleep at decent hours of the night, and make sure you get undisturbed proper sleep. If this means pulling the blinds down, and turning on a white noise machine or fan than so be it(fans and white noise are proven to make people fall asleep much heavier than usual) I sleep with a fan on all the time, and when I do I get the best rest.

All of my suggestions are just simple ways to begin working on your depression. They aren't complete solutions, but if you start doing something you at least are trying and will eventually get to the point where you find what works for you and what makes you happy. For me music and sunlight are the strongest. I just can't be mad when I listen to my music.

Continue to work, and make your family happy. Work on your own happiness and understand it isn't an instant fix that can take months to achieve, but you WILL NEVER get there if you don't try. With a depressed attitude trying to accomplish something can seem impossible. but my suggestions require very little effort, with high gains, so there is nothing to lose but your depression.