1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid of what a psychiatrist could say

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LaplaceScramble, Aug 2, 2013.

1. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awhile ago I went in to see a psychiatrist because I thought I had Bipolar Disorder. Turned out it wasn't Bipolar Disorder, it was worse. That took a little getting over, because I was imagining Bipolar Disorder as the worst case scenario. Now I want to go in to get tested for Asbergers, but I'm afraid that past experience has made me afraid to go in and see a psychiatrist again, for fear that it could be worse.

I don't know if it's just a case of the ever worsening self-diagnosing problem that seems to be sweeping the web lately or not. I have friends (twins) who have varying degrees of Asbergers, and we share a lot of common traits. It wasn't something I'd though of until recently, mostly because my parents never made a big deal out of it, and it hasn't been until now, that I've gotten over my recent diagnoses that I've thought to consider it, since I've come to the realization that I'm not normal.

I have no clue what I'm asking here, I just don't know how to sort my thoughts out.

2. rose94

I'm sorry you had a shock at your last meeting with a psychiatrist. (*hug*)

The self-diagnosis thing online, seemingly everywhere, is a bad route to go down. Would seeing your GP first about your concerns be easier?

3. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it were just from looking up stuff online I wouldn't think anything of it, since I know online diagnosing is a bit of a joke. But it's that my friends who have it (and take medication) share a lot of traits that I do, and that's what is mostly me to freak out. Unfortunately my GP wouldn't be qualified to say one way or another and would just recommend I see a psychiatrist.

4. Foxface

if you'd like to share what you worse diagnosis was and your traits I can give you the typical symptoms of what you are concerned about

Also, try not to worry about diagnoses. One of the upsides is that you know what you are working with and it can be the pavement that starts the road to healing. Good luck and take a moment to breathe

Foxface

5. rose94

Yeah, that's a good point about the GPs.

What do it fear it is? I can understand you not wanting to share, so no pressure. But with nothing to go on, I can't give you my opinion.

6. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Foxface
    Oh, ya forgot to put that. Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type.
    As far as the traits: Overly sensitive (in respect to the five senses), no/minimal facial expressions all the time, out of sync with those around me, bad motor skills, can't understand body language/facial expression/feelings of others, word repetition, bad at small talk, general apathy, not understanding when/why something would be considered offensive, don't like being asked to clarify. <--I shortened this by a little over half.

rose94
    That's just it, I don't know. I'd never even heard of schizoaffective disorder bipolar type before, yet that's what I was diagnosed with having and it's worse than bipolar disorder.

7. altcipher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Although being diagnosed is scary, and labels are dumb sometimes, it would probably be better to know. I guess my point is that if its a correct diagnosis, it existed rather or not you knew the diagnosis, and so its not really like you can hide from it anyways.

Also if you are afraid of what diagnosises you might have, I would defiantly recommend you try and stay away from trying to sort it out or diagnosis it online. As somewhat of hypochondriac I pretty much try and stay away from that completely myself XD. You would be surprised what conditions you can convince yourself you have...

I certainly wouldn't recommend letting fear get in the way of going to a doctor about these types of things again. It might even help to tell your psychiatrist about these fears you are having regarding diagnosis ect. or explain how it might be getting in the way of seeing him/her. I would probably recommend doing this if possible.

8. BudderMC

Not worse, different.

Essentially what schizoaffective disorder is from my understanding is a case of a mood disorder overlapping with a case of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia in and of itself has many different types, so it doesn't mean you're "crazy" like a lot of stereotypes would make someone with schizophrenia out to be. The mood disorder in this case is bipolar disorder, since those are the mood symptoms I assume you're exhibiting.

Anyways, I can empathize with that being a terrifying experience. Try and think of it this way: if you're concerned that something is wrong, who is better suited to help you adapt and recover than a professional trained in your area of concern?

9. LaplaceScramble

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    altcipher
    It's not the labels I worry about, it's that up until I was diagnosed, I could just tell myself that everyone was different in their own way. With a diagnoses, I'm so different that there had to be a label for it. So it's not the label itself, it's that somewhere along the line someone had to say "this is so far outside the norm, we need to make a special name for it"

BudderMC
    By worse I mean I expected bipolar, but found it it was bipolar and schizophrenia. I expected one, but not the other.;

10. Foxface

I know this may sound cliche and whatnot but frankly you can diagnose damn near anyone. You are not abnormal. You have a diagnosis and I understand it may be scary or upsetting to you but here's the way I see it. I've diagnosed a great many people with everything from Schizophrenia to Depression to GAD. It does not change a person unless that person lets it change them. And I know I already said it but use this as the foundation to start healing. We use these diagnoses to categorize and frankly I hate sometimes how cold and clinical they are. Having a name can help you work through what's happening. More importantly though don't see yourself as schizophrenic. See yourself as Cogged Wings (sorry don't know your real name)

If they come back with an Asperger's diagnosis it does not have to change who you are. You are unique, not broken and I mean that in every possible way.

Foxface

11. FreeFlow9917

Hey same with me, don't worry my psychologist helped me a shit-ton a lot. K take concerta and no one fucking understands me. If you need a gay aspie friend, look for me