1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It sucks that EC is my only gay outlet!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I'm just sick... Yet again of my life. Sure, I have a great family and a few friends, well actually one friend but I'm just not involved with the gay community/scene. I did go to a LGBT support place for a while which did help occasionally but after a while I just felt like the support guy was trying to get me to do things I didn't want to do i.e go to pride, go out on the gay scene, etc etc.

I didn't go to Pride because even though I am out, it's just a bit too much for me. I don't like clubbing or anything like that so that side of the gay scene is off the cards.

So, from looking around, EC is my only place and although its good... I'm starting to realise the bad points. There's no physical face to face talking to people, there's no real friendships and chances of finding anything else is impossible because its not what EC is designed for and it's online so you never really know the person.

I just feel the longer I latch onto EC the worse it'll get. I know there's no other gay support place near me.

Yeah the support guy said "if you want a boyfriend then that's cool" but is it? I think not... The more I think about it and the more read up on guys who are in midst of a new relationship I just get depressed and angry at them.

I just really think I should leave EC because aren't going to get any better. Even though its my only gay outlet, it sucks that its an online forum. How can I imagine making more friends or eventually finding a nice guy when my only gay community is... Online.

I don't know... Just feel so crappy right now :icon_sad:

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Too much of anything can be bad, even spending too much time on an LGBT support site like EC. Do you think you've been relying a bit too much on the site, using it as a crutch? In that case, it might be wise to start cutting back and learning to stand on your own two feet!

The members on here can only do so much, and at some point, you'll have to get out there and use the advice to your own advantage. Question: Why is it so important to have constant interaction with the gay community? I know plenty of gay people who are balanced and satisfied with life who don't attend Pride or go clubbing every weekend. And yes, its possible to find one outside of the community, and would actually advise interacting with some involved with *your* areas of interest. They're all over, really, and the fact that you're out helps a lot.

You're realizing that you can't simply cloister yourself against life and its hardships by solely relying on EC. It's a wonderful tool, but its effectiveness is only as great as the way its utilized. Everyone, not just gay people, struggles with self-acceptance, and your case is no different. Your sexuality is only one part of who you are. There are many sites, offline support groups, and people out there willing to help you, but you have to make that move first. Get off the computer for a while and do something you love, meet people, LIVE your life instead of regretting.

3. srslywtf

I know how you feel :slight_smile: Although if I had a LGBT center asking me to get involved with stuff all my problems would be solved!

I have nobody IRL to talk to and it blows.

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

How does one keep away from EC? Like I said I have no outside outlet and I'm sick of being ignored or reading about people loved up.

I'm just sick

5. AKTodd

Perhaps you should try to involve yourself in the gay community outside of clubs and such? You mentioned going to a gay coffeehouse some time back. I thought that was something you liked.

Could you volunteer at the LGBT center? Are there any LGBT sports teams or meetup groups or clubs (as in book clubs, gaming groups, etc.) in your area?

If you actually want to go out and meet people and make friends then you actually have to...go out and meet people.

Todd

6. Diego89

I feel you mate, I really do. It's always in my head, constantly. I think I have a pretty good life yet I feel miserable too often. This is my only gay outlet as well and so far it's been very helpful but I dunno how longer it will... I'm craving some company...