1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question/Curiosity about FtM/MtF?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TacoswithJuan, Aug 5, 2013.

1. TacoswithJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't mean to be ignorant or anything, but I do have a question:

I see a lot of people who identify as FtM or MtF who have not yet told their parents, and I was wondering how that works, like wouldn't your parents know? I think I'm missing something lol but yeah that's basically my question. How do your parents not know about a gender change from your born gender? unless your an adult and haven't seen your parents since like before or something..

yeah that's my question. thanks!

2. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well my parents don't know because I'm absolutely terrified to tell them, but I can't speak for everyone. I haven't started transitioning yet.

3. 1Jake2

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't FtM mean that a female is a male on the inside? And vice versa? I don't think it means that you have already started or finished transitioning. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, MtF and FtM are just ways of saying what you are to other people. It doesn't mean you've transitioned yet.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

FtM here. At the present moment, I have not begun the transition process so my parents have no need to know. I'm still male, despite being female bodied and pre-transition. Probably won't come out or even begin to transition for another few months. The term simply refers to someone who identifies as opposite their birth sex.

I believe my parents to be mildly transphobic. I'm hoping they'll take it well but I'm waiting on college/financial independence before coming out in case they don't.

6. LD579

It could be the same as being gay or what have you, in some senses. Some guy could be totally gay but not date other guys yet, for fear of what others may say or how they may act, even though he's sure he's gay. Does that make sense?

7. TacoswithJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh okay, I thought it meant someone who was fully transitioned. Still pretty new to all this, so thanks everyone! :grin:

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Glad you asked. More you know and all of that. Always willing to answer questions, expand horizons.