1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSA help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Knight Pan, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Knight Pan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Soo It's my junior year in high school and we've never had a GSA at our school and I've never been in one. :dry: School starts in about a week and I'm planning on starting my schools first GSA this year. (!) I have an idea for a teacher and how to start it and stuff but I need help with other things.
    What do you do during your GSA meetings and what are some things you guys do throughout the school year? What's the best way to get the word about it out there? Because people in our school don't often pay attention to posters or the announcements It's kind of hard to get people to go to any new club.

2. LD579

Well, you may have to come up with a proposal for this as it'd be a new club. A school teacher or staff member may need to back you up as well. It may largely help if you had some friends with office-like/administrative experience to help you out. I've made a GSA before almost on my own, and while it wasn't hard, I wish I had people who said they'd help me and actually meant it. Be wary of others who want to 'help' but in actuality just want something to put on their resumé.

You'd ideally outline why not having a GSA is an issue for the school, why it'd be best to have one, what it would solve in the short and long term future, and what the club would be like.

Do you want the club to be a place for people to hang out and get educated? Do you want it to become more group-conversation-based with topics of the day and such? Figure out what you want to accomplish with this, and write it down.

As for what to do... there are lots of things you could do. You could host events (Like social gatherings and such, dances...), do presentations at assemblies, go around and talk to classes, hold workshops of sorts, fundraise for your club with bake sales or selling LGBT+ positive merchandise (Rainbow bracelets or pins come to mind, for instance)... things like that could be helpful.

Also, do you want to become the leader for this? Are you fine with someone more experienced and knowledgeable leading this on? Those are things to consider, as well.

As for how to get the word around, that's easy. Make attention-grabbing posters with bright colours and stick them around the school. Likely they'll have to be approved by administration of the school, first, though. Don't just go putting them up without consent, heh. You could also have it put into school announcements over the PA, if that's done at your school, and it could be advertised at assemblies with videos, presentations, or announcements during the assembly (You'd have to organize that with whoever is in charge of assemblies). You could also create a facebook group or something similar online to advertise its existence. You could also have it put into the school paper, school website, school agenda, and things like that. Advertising can be quite straightforward and easy. The details about the club can be more important, in my opinion.

I surely must've missed some things, but hopefully that helped. I wish you the best with whatever course of action you decide to take. =)

3. misunfortunate

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When starting a GSA, know that if the school has any other clubs, they can't stop you. And if they tell you not to advertise it, and they let other clubs advertise, they are breaking the law.

GSA's are created to make a safe space for LGBTQ people, their friends, their family, and their allies. In the GSA you discuss LGBT issues or accomplishments. Talk about marriage equality, adoption and visitation rights, etc. You can also educate them on the entire LGBT spectrum. Sexuality, gender, etc. Watch LGBT themed movies (appropriate, of course) and put up posters around school that promote equality. Make T-shirts promoting equality and sell them to the students to get funds for other things, like a trip to the pride parade. Make a pride parade. Anything really.

Also, if you wish, you can make it a support group, getting more personal with the members. Help eachother come out or accept themselves. if your school doesn't allow same-sex prom dates or something, change that. GSA's are all about equality. Do a circle with the members, and have everyone share something. Like the best or worst thing that happened that week, their favorite thing they did over the weekend, their favorite food or candy or color. Make your club a family, a community.

Good luck with your GSA! It's great that you are starting one! Remember to find a teacher who can represent your club and let you use their classroom for meetings. Establish confidentiality rules, so that people aren't afraid to come out in the group for fear of the school finding out. Put posters around the school, saying that there is a GSA and anyone is welcome to join. Have fun!