1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous Tick?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Aug 7, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay so i've been noticing something about me, i don't know what its called so i need your help for this.

There's this thing, I do when something's bugging me. I'll give some examples.
    If I See visible clumps of dog hair on my floor, I'll have to sweep it out of here and look for any other clumps or visible masses of dog hair. also even if it's the living room and i see random clumps of hair, it will bother the hell out of me and i'll have to sweep it into a pile and throw it away.

Another thing, is I have this blanket with dog hair on it, and when i'm laying on it or wrapped in it, I can feel the dog hair poking my back so i'll find the main source of where the hair poking is at and look for pieces of hair in the blanket and pull it out and I just don't really want to stop. Like I'll pull a long piece of hair out then i'll see another piece of hair and pull it out and it sometimes, gets hard to stop because i'm trying to pull out almost every single piece of dog hair i see in the blanket. There will be moment where i will pull a long piece of dog hair out and feel accomplished and kind of happy but i will still do it.

I remember one time time, I was sweeping my floor at 3am and the carpet looked clean but i would still sweep it to make sure, I was getting all the hair up and i swept the outside of my room too to clean that area and I ended up sweeping the floors
    (inside my room mostly) till 7am.

This doesn't just apply to dog hair or hair in general, those are just examples.
    Another thing, I do is pop my blackheads on my nose. Ever since my sister showed me how to do it, I started doing it myself...and I dont do it constantly but like maybe 3 times throughout the day. Maybe 4? but I pop them and I love doing it for some reason, I had to stop popping them though because it makes my nose red and damages my skin and i'm taking senior pictures this week so. but I've been doing for a few months now. maybe a year, i've lost track.

I can't think of any other things off the top of my head but if i do, I will let ya'll know.
    anyways, Does anyone know what this is called or what it's close to??

2. MerBear

3. LD579

It sounds like behaviour that is compulsive. Lots of people have things like that. For example, it bothers me to see dirty dishes by the counter, and so I'll either clean them completely or will get rid of the bits of sauce and food on them (Pre-washing, you could say) and then put them into the dish washer.

What would happen if you decided to step away and not do those tasks?

For what it's worth, I get carried away with cleaning, as well, so I'm inclined to say that you have gained respect points from me for having cleaned for 4 hours. With that said, though, that can be seen as a bit excessive, and I hope that doesn't happen too often as it could be quite troublesome.

I'm no doctor... but with that said, if you have obsessive thoughts about these things as well, and you think the thoughts and behaviour that you engage in are interfering with your life, then I'd encourage you to get checked up so that a doctor could potentially help you.

Those don't seem like nervous tics though. Nervous tics are quite different.

#3 LD579, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nowt wrong with popping your blackheads, my stepmum and sister are obsessed with it, and I often have to stop myself from doing it if I pass a mirror. Just don't do it to excess, use spot creams instead. Not that they actually work, it's kind of a placebo effect.

As far as the cleaning goes, it may be that you are developing an OCD-like habit. You should nip it in the bud before you physically can't stop yourself from cleaning until 3am. It might "itch" like you want to do it for some time, but eventually you'll stop noticing. If not, try talking to a psychiatrist. Or psychologist. I forget which. Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. Zyanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  6. danball7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just realised that I do this a lot too. I don't mind it as I tend to do it just before I go to sleep, plus it helps with writing stories (I lurve writing) but yeah it can muck up conversations sometimes when I just randomly start watching a movie in my head. :eusa_doh:

7. MerBear

If i stopped daydreaming, I would go absolutely nuts probably. or so i feel like.
    I rock back n forth to fall asleep and if i had to stop that, i would go insane. I would ...just become ...i dont even know.

If i didn't pick up random clumps of hair if i saw them, that would bother me ..it would itch at me.

I could go on with my life ....without popping my blackheads but it would itch at me if i saw a black head because i would have the urge to.

If i didn't pick at the hair that were poking at me in my blanket....i dont know.
    If somethings bothering me, i will do anything to just make sure it doesn't bother me.

Those hairs poking at me, its like...I find a bunch of hairs in the area of the blanket where it was poking me ....and i'll pull them out, then i'll see more hairs and pull them out ...

it's like ...if its poking me, i'll pull out as many hairs, i feel are necessary to stop poking me.

My dad saw me doing this and he said i looked crazy

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2013 at 06:09 PM ----------

I dont want to stop actually hahaha

8. Kamina

Lol me too... I have created mutiple fantasies in my head, I play one though or I get board and I start another, sometimes I go back to old ones for fun. It does make for interesting literature!

Merbear, I would suggest stopping yourself for participating in these behaviours for a while just to see what happens. It does sound like an Obsessive habit which are best not indulged. I obsessively square things and if I do it too much it stops being pleasureable and begins to cause me anxiety, but on the same note, if I stop I lose the desire to do it until something prods me to again. It's an endless cycle. But as long as it doesn't control your life it should be fine. :icon_bigg

9. MerBear