1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward with Recieving Compliments/Gifts

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Carbine, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Carbine

The title pretty much says it all. I'm much better with relationships where nothing material at all is involved. I'm just really awkward at gift recieving...slightly less so with giving...But sometimes a friend/family member/my bf insists on giving me something. It's not that I'm ungrateful, it just makes me...almost uncomfortable because I just really don't know what to do, so I kind of awkwardly mumble my thanks. Maybe that'd be because I'm not a very directly affectionate person- rather rough with my affection- so I have trouble coming off as too...squishy, for lack of a better term. It's pretty much the same with compliments about me personally (for example about my eyes or something.) I don't get them very often, so when I do, I generally just tend to blush and- again- stammer my thanks. This probably comes from the affection thing and the fact that I used to and still kind of do struggle with self-esteem problems (like most females tend to at some point, unfortunately.) My boyfriend knows of my not thinking too highly of myself and almost every morning texts me "Good morning, beautiful!" What exactly is it that I'm supposed to do? If anything, I'd really appreciate some advice on how to respond to that text other than my usual "...hi?" "Good morning...?" or the occasional awkward "ummm...heyy...there...handsome...?"