1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay teacher

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ohioguy05, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ohioguy05

So, if you've been following any of my posts, you know that I am a teacher in Ohio, in a school district, which is...ummm...rather rural. I love teaching at that school, don't want to move to another district, have a supportive partner, and I don't want to lose all of this. The thing is that I think it would be very bad if it were discovered that I was gay. You know... all of the parents grabbing their pitchforks and storming the office holding signs about how "Jesus hates gays" and all of that fun stuff that we saw back in the 1960's with race.

Let me say from the top that I do NOT and will NOT make my sexual identity known to students, parents, or other teachers. I will NOT teach lessons celebrating gay tolerance (though goodness knows my gay students probably need it), celebrate gay history month, or celebrate the day of silence. I just want to teach... like any straight teacher would. While at school, that is my job...not to make a political statement.

Keeping my relationship a secret from the school might be harder than I anticipated. I can only avoid the other teachers' questions about if I found a date for the weekend and when I am going to settle down with a nice girl for so long... Undoubtably my boyfriend and I will be seen at a restaurant together or a friend of a friend of a friend will let something slip that will reach the ears of the parents in my district. That is why I want to be PROACTIVE.

I looked at my contract/teacher handbook and nothing is directly written regarding sexual orientation...that includes the protection from discrimination section. I would feel more comfortable if something were stated directly in this handbook/contract that said that "no teacher could be fired based on sexual orientation" and I really think that the school board and administration would be ok with that. I don't think they have any issues.

My question comes in HOW should I go about suggesting this to be added. I don't exactly want to out myself at school to do so. If that happens, I will be creating the problem myself. I would send an anonomyous letter out to the board...but would they read it? Are there any organizations out there who could do the hard work for me? Any suggestions would be great.

I want to teach until I can too be a bitter old teacher some day! Haha. But in all honesty...teaching is my life...what I was born to do... and I am freakin' awesome at it. I want to inspire all of my students to do their best... and possibly be a role model for LGBT youth in the future. I just have to make sure I am protected as well.

2. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Perhaps you could arrange for someone else or a group of other people with a decent reason to bring it up to do so. Preferably someone or a group of people well known or respected in the community, and if you don't want to out yourself to them you could subtly work them in that direction.

3. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can relate, I am in the teacher prep program myself. I am also a math tutor at my college. My coworkers ask me all the time, "so when are you getting a girl friend". Hopefully things gets better. At least in my city, we are liberal; it's Vegas.

4. nydtc

My partner is a school teacher- we like to say he is out but doesn't wear a rainbow tie to work! But we also live in NY which is a little more liberal than Ohio (I would think).
    If its a public school and you are a member of a teachers union, I would approach your union -maybe not the local rep but some at the state level to find out what the rules are/ how it's been handled in the past. You can be the only gay teacher in the district/ state!
    Good luck

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The sucky part about this whole thing is that its very hard to do anything while you are in the closet. A letter is easily ignored and an LGBT group won't be able to do much if they don't have a reason as to why they are helping.

Changing school policy is one of the hardest things to do, but its not impossible. There are organizations like GLSEN and other local organizations that deal with schools and might be able to give you some sort of support or resources.

Also, try to find other LGBT teachers and learn from them. I know that in my school we had 3 LGBT teachers who weren't out, but also weren't in the closet. They were able to find a balance where most people could guess, but they wouldn't say it to you outright.

Maybe that's something that you can do?

6. debushed

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If this is a public school then chances are that it shouldn't be a problem.

Can you get a copy of a new teacher application? Usually an application will have a disclaimer that says "we do not discriminate against any race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc..." That disclaimer doesn't mean that it can't happen, they just use other excuses. Once you are hired and have tenure though, it would be a lot tougher to get the axe. I'd recommend that you always dot your I's and cross your T's when it comes to any contact with male students just to be safe though. This is only a problem for people that instantly think that gay equals pedophile. I don't want to scare you but I had a high school teacher that was thought to be gay and the personal contact got him canned. A hand on the shoulder of a kid that is out to get you can be a really big problem. This was probably about 12 years ago so tolerance in people has changed since then.

I live in a very rural place also and I can tell you from experience that it is getting easier and more accepting everywhere. I'm not putting on rose colored glasses and think all is safe but you might be surprised how accepting people can be.

If you love teaching and do it as well as you say you do, go to work, do your job and you won't have any problems. When people ask about girls, just say you aren't interested and you don't really feel comfortable talking about your personal life a work. People will see you out and rumors will probably start, as long as you are comfortable with who you are, then it shouldn't be a problem for you.

7. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This post makes me glad I went to school in London , I had openly gay teachers growing up as far as I am aware no parents ever complained and if they did it had to effect what so ever, I get some may think that pupils don't need to know about the personal lives of there teachers but I know for me and other questioning pupils at the time having gay teachers made us feel more normal and no one got bullied for the sexuality around the gay teachers which was pretty cool, I wish all other schools where like that

8. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yah, I'm pretty sure you can sue them if they fire you based on your orientation. But if they are that barbaric, they will find other ways to get rid of you. Personally, I would just come out to whoever asks next. "Did you find a girlfriend?" No, because I'm gay and taken. Boom done. Then if word spread, then word spreads. What are they gonna do?

Here in California, there's a similar issue, only the school is religious. A homosexual teacher was openly gay at the school. Students knew it, staff knew it, and they even knew he had a partner. But once he got married and his wedding tape was viewed, he was fired. How does that make sense? It doesn't.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel for you. You like your job.

As for the logistics, look at the wording in employment contracts for your district. Look at the civil protections the state of Ohio affords. Every state and employer is different. Sometimes, you can find charts on the internet showing how the various states compare for civil protections. Proceed from there.

You might get acceptance from the administration and fellow teachers, but those people with archaic views will still exist. There may be less of them as time goes on, but as long as we have people towing strict lines of their religions, they'll be causing people grief. As you know, it's often better in big cities.

10. rusteejay

You want to tell them that if Jesus hates gays so much, get the bible out and prove it. Its all bull shit at the end of the day. No religious text says that you cannot be gay. Some say about wasting sperm etc. But it doesn't specify who you can and cannot love. If god made us all, he made some of us gay too.

11. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I feel for you. Discrimination is wrong.

12. Incognito10

I think you can be open about your life and reference your partner, without making a big deal out of it. After all, straight teachers reference their partners. I believe this to be your right. Your sexuality is not something students, parents of students or colleagues need to even think about; with that said, if they choose to make a big deal out of it, that is on them. Also, I don't think being "out" is making a political statement. You are a human being and your existence and sexuality is not a political statement.

Also, if you decide to be "out," I think this could benefit your gay students, as you mentioned. I really wish I would have had a gay teacher because young people, especially in rural areas, tend to think they're the "only" one. Again, you don't need to go into deep discussion about it or make anything political out about it, your simple openness could really help certain gay students, even though you may never know it.

Our work lives are HUGE parts of our lives and we spend a lot of time in that environment and I know it can be difficult to hide such large aspects of ourselves. If you hide it, it may lead to repression, isolation in the workplace and depression. But also, there are many people who decide work is strictly work and are not open about their personal lives--I just find this approach difficult because how do answer colleagues when they ask, "What did you do over the weekend?" "Do you have a family?" "What did you do on vacation?" It is difficult to completely omit the existence of your partner when engaging in conversations such as these. Also, it can lead to issues such as you feeling bad for not including your partner in conversations, almost denying the relationship.

My 2 cents

#12 Incognito10, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  13. Bear101

If you trust them, ask your union rep. They should have some idea.