1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to determine if a potential employer is gay friendly?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by josh9623, Aug 9, 2013.

1. josh9623

I am looking for a job and was wondering if anyone had any tips for how to tell if an employer would be gay friendly. I not only want to know just to make sure I will be accepted, but also because where I live it is legal to fire someone for being gay.

2. Night

Night Guest

Seeing as you're 16, I assume you're looking just for a part-time job?

Well, honestly, I wouldn't bother worrying about finding a gay-friendly employer. Just don't tell them you're gay? I mean, unless they're outwardly homophobic I don't see why it would matter. I don't mean to invalidate your want, but I don't really think any employer would be blatantly homophobic as it might hurt their business (which nobody wants).

3. blueberrymuffin

A lot of companies have policies you can find on their website. If it was a career, maybe you'd ask about it at an interview or move to place that has legal protection, but for a part time job, the interview is gonna be like "When can you start?" Still, i hear you. One summer job i had, the coworkers would talk about sex topics often, and I had to lie not only due to being in the closet but as you say, they might fire you. Just keep your head up and remember you won't have to deal with this much longer.

4. AKTodd

If it's a major corporation (and some types of part-time job can be for these, particularly retail or food service), they should have something on their website about their non-discrimination policies. If they include sexual orientation, then you basically can't be fired for being gay, at least at the corporate level. If it's a franchise, I'm not sure how it works or how much control the corporate office has or is willing to exercise. It could vary a good bit.

You can also check the Human Rights Campaign website, looking for their Equality Index IIRC. They list companies and rate them by how inclusive/LGBT friendly they are.

Don't know what the general atmosphere is where you live, but you might also look into getting a job at an LGBT owned business. There may be a listing of such businesses online or via the local community center, if you have one.

Hope this helps,

Todd

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's an important determination. It varies from state to state. Most of the time, even in a conservative state, especially in its large cities, most people don't get fired for being gay. I also don't think it happens to younger people in part-time work, jobs during college, or even jobs after college.

I think it happens when you stumble onto a company that is small and is super conservative. It also tends to happen when a person reaches a position where they are sort of a face for the company and, for some reason, they don't want someone to be a face for that company.

I think this kind of discrimination happens, and often, but as a percentage, it's unlikely to happen to someone in their working lives. I know a fair number of people who graduated from college a while back, are either gay or lesbian, or are in some way "different" even though they are straight, and they've never had a problem in the workforce.

6. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You can be fired for being gay? That's absurd!

7. Anomander

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know at my work they include LBGT in their diversity training and orientation ect. I do not know how you would find this out outside the company however as most of it is on their intranet.

An idea, my company has a float in the pride parade. If you have a pride parade in your area you would look it up. I know the website for mine had a list of floats.

Long-shot but it might work if its a big corporation.

8. blueberrymuffin

There are also numerous cities in states without protection, that have their own nondiscrimination laws. For example in michigan, there's about a dozen towns/cities that don't allow this. Google search should find all that quickly.

9. Yes, especially if you're an at-will employee, you can be fired for any reason not protected by the law (Boss doesn't like the color of your tie? You can be fired). Only some states have non-discrimination policies that cover sexual orientation, and even fewer protect gender identity.

10. coreyl13

In michigan there is no protection. However I find it interesting that I work for the state and in our non discrimination policy it does have sexual orientation listed. :slight_smile:
    In an interview you can ask for a work policy book. Or look it up online if available.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, you can have a state that is "red" (I don't think MI is) without the protection in their laws, but a company or a city will have the protection in their guidelines, and that apparently overrides.

In some rare instance, you can have a state that's "blue" and fairly progressive, but you'll run into a speck of red here and there in smaller organizations, in that they are conservative and not accepting, but like I said, these are specks, and therefore rare.

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2013 at 09:13 PM ----------

Yes, the wording "at-will" is key. If I was being interviewed, and someone said at-will 3 times within 40 minutes, I would not look at that as a promising sign.

12. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would recommend, if possible, stopping my the place you would be working to see what kind of people you would be working with. That would be a good idea. Even if the boss is not homophobic, you could still face homophobia from coworkers.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that in private companies, getting walked around and introduced to others is sort of normal. That's important. You could size up the atmosphere and be a sleuth for clues, so it's helpful. In bigger bureaucratic places, they really control the process of what you can see, what you can ask, and who you can meet, so it can be a surprise as to who your coworkers will be. I wonder what they'd do if someone asked if they could sort of take a tour of the office so they can get an idea, and a vibe, of who they might be working with. That could solve a lot. These days are weird. People can't be as picky. Ten years ago, if a person picked up some negative vibes in an interview, they could hold out for another job. I know that, if some red flags came up, I passed on the opportunity, because times were better.

14. josh9623

well I had my first interview today. The lady that interviewed me was ready to hire me but because I wasn't 18 her boss wouldn't let her :dry:

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry to hear you didn't get the position!

This is little comfort, I know, but I find there can be some value in times I apply for a position and don't get it. The process, even if failed, teaches something.

The fact that she was ready to hire you, though, is very encouraging. It shows you are doing something right!

16. josh9623

yeah, since when do you have to be 18 for a retail job?

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always had the impression food service was 16, or it once was. Come to think of it, I can't think of other types of retail where I've seen anyone who might be less than 18. I think it's because the level of customer interaction is higher. Or it could be something where it's necessary that you are legally of adult age.

18. castle walls

Most grocery stores, fast food, and other retail places are 16 and up. I used to work in retail. The age to work there was 16 and up but, in reality, they didn't really hire anyone under 18. The thing is that if you hire someone that is legally an adult there are less restrictions that you have to follow. From what I understand, it is a bit easier on the employer.

Also, with the job market the way it is now, employers could easily chose to only hire adults. There are quite a few people in their twenties that need to take jobs that usually went to 16 year olds.

OP, I think that it would be a lot easier to get a job once you hit 18. Don't give up though! Like BMC77 said, at least you know that you're doing something right since the interviewer wanted to hire you