1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think she suspects?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jimi, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So, I am a closeted gay. But growing up, I was very flamboyant. I didn't go 15 minutes without doing a cartwheel and I had a sassy walk that would've make Tyra Banks jealous. However, going through school and being ostracized because of my femininity, I've learned to condition myself to be...more "normal". Fast forward to the present, I am a makeup artist. I love glamour, fashion, skincare, beauty, and everything that falls under those categories. (here come the stereotypes lol) I have a five foot stack of Vogue magazines on my desk and I shout with excitement every time one arrives at my door. I love Lady Gaga. I worked for Sephora(a big beauty store). My mother always asks me for fashion advice before she walks out the door to a date or an event. I hate sports, when everyone is watching the superbowl, I go to another room. I love musicals and the list goes on..

Basically, what I want is opinions. Do you think my mother knows I'm gay and she's just not saying anything? Do you think she's afraid she might insult me if there's the off-chance I am straight and just metrosexual or something? I mean, what straight son does all these things? It's driving me insane because I'm so afraid of breaking her heart but at the same time, she's always supported my decisions to get into the beauty industry and she has no issues with me doing any of these things. I'm sure she has some sort of idea, I mean my brother's girlfriend even says things to me that you wouldn't to a straight guy. She saw me laying on the couch one time, and she commented on my "cute butt". I don't think you would say something like that to another male when you're boyfriend (my brother) is standing right there. & she always says things like, "I want you to make me look fabulous!"

I know deep down in my heart, my mother would accept me and so would my brother. Though she does tend to be very judgmental at times and she says very rude things about people regarding orientation and race. But I'm still terrified. Please offer any advice you can or just thoughts on the matter.

Oh, also one time when me and her were eating at a restaurant, she commented on my long eyelashes and she said, "You should wear clear mascara. You know they have that, right?"
    Like, really? lmao

#1 Jimi, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. LinkLarkin

Aw this made me smile :slight_smile: a lot of people believe that mothers always have an instinct for this sort of thing so as you fit a lot of stereotypes it seems likely that she would suspect it (though I can't see into her mind!) I also don't think she would neglect to say anything because of the awkwardness, it's more likely that she understands how difficult coming out is and doesn't want to push you. And just because you think she suspects isn't a good enough reason to come out either! Wait until you're ready, and good luck (*hug*)

3. LazyJay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    She probably has some idea that you're gay. She sounds like a nice mother and she is probably just waiting for you to open up to her. When I told my mom she said, "I knew it." xD

4. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just want her to be the one to say something first that way I can't avoid it anymore. She's probably in denial. Maybe she'd be ashamed to tell other people.

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The good thing is that she doesn't seem to be homophobic. :grin: