1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting help for my anxiety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by tosovngarde, Aug 11, 2013.

1. tosovngarde

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello! I've always had anxiety but this year has practically been the worst (I've had two panic attacks and I've never really had any kind of panic attack before).

My dad called my insurance (which is state-issued since I'm a minor) for referrals for therapists but for that, I need to undergo a psychological evaluation at behavioral services. In Pennsylvania, starting at 14, you can refuse any kind of mental health services so I pretty much have to call myself. And even though I'd probably be so nervous doing it, I know I can't deal with it on my own.

Any advice or just whatever? (and sorry if this doesn't belong here).

Thank you!

2. LD579

If you'd like, and it sounds as though you would, you could give it a shot and call them. The people on the other line should be working with you to help the experience be as comfortable as it can be. They're not there to judge you as a person in anyway. They're there to help you out. It can take courage, but it may potentially be a very good move to make. If there aren't any other ways to start to get help, you may just have to suck it up and give them a call, but I'm sure it can't be that bad =)

3. tosovngarde

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I need my social security number so as soon as I get that, I'm going to call. I'll probably be so nervous but I'm going to suck it up and call because I really need to do it.

4. Foxface

when you are done calling, feel free to wall message me if you like. If they've said anything you don't understand or are nervous about I am sure I can help tease things out or explain anything to you

good luck

Foxface

5. biggayguy

Perhaps your school counselor could give you a referral. Has anxiety affected your school work? They may be able to help with the evaluation as well.

6. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have dad arrange for the psychological evaluation, you are a minor, you don't have to call this one in yourself. You do have the right to refuse, but you don't have to make the phone call.

Psyc Eval is usually just an interview, a psychiatrist will listen to what you say. If you insert here and there in your interview/conversations that you want/need to have someone to talk to to help you figure out whatever it is that you want help in, the psychiatrist will eventually get that you are asking for a therapist, not for pills.

If the Psychiatrists pulls out a prescription pad, tell him point blank - "I want to have a doctor who has talked with me for more than one session to decide if I really need medication."

Be respectful. If its a man say 'Sir' if its a woman say 'Ma'm'

If you lay it out that you want a psychologist to work with you and figure out if medications would help with an over all therapy - sounding intelligent about the situation, most psychiatrists will respect that. perhaps the idea that you are thinking about your needs and want serious guidance before going on a drug sends the message that you are really wanting to work on whatever ails you, and people tend to respect that.

Since you say you can refuse treatments, then this means you can respectfully decline medication and ask for a compromise of a therapist first, for a while to see how that works.

If you go in there with attitude and act strange or disrespectful the doctor won't listen to you.

oh and don't act crazy - LOL just kidding...

7. Kamina

If you can get help go for it! I have panic attacks almost daily and it's very difficult. I have self taught myself to work though them but help would have been nice. I'm currently trying to get my parents to get me some therapy because it would really help some days just to talk to a person who isn't affiliated with my everyday life. In theory I can see it being very helpful.

All of my other advice has been said by elf wynd, biguy50, and Luthan so I think you have some good advice already. Good luck! (*hug*)