1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

arguments against the Matthew Vines video

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ticklish Fish, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

so I have made a thread similar to this a long time ago...

and I finally find some counter arguments to Matthew Vine's video.

I think I need to sort out my head again.

But I just want to know, HOW do I know which arguments is the way to go?

How do I know that Matthew Vine's video is logically sound? And counterarguments to his video?

PS. I don't know if I should dissect every single google search of counterarguments. Maybe not if I want my sanity and my current acceptance of myself?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, Matthew Vines' comments have caused a pretty dramatic shift among a lot of people pretty high up in various churches, and from what I've read of his commentary (and I'm somewhat up on it), most of the arguments against his scholarship are flawed and don't address the points he raised.

He spent several years doing the research, and started from the place of directly addressing the arguments against his positions and then went back and researched pretty carefully. The people whose minds he's changed are the ones who looked seriously at what he had to say and, in essence, said there's really no other logical way to interpret what he's saying, given the evidence he's presented.

So... I think you're on pretty firm footing if you accept his arguments.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The OP in this thread identifies as Christian, and is asking for help in determining whether or not to believe the revisionist interpretations of the Bible (that don't condemn homosexuality) as presented by Matthew Vines, or the more traditional views that do condemn homosexuality.

Therefore, posts that argue that he should not believe in Christianity at all, or why Christianity doesn't make sense, or that one should throw the Bible out entirely are off-topic and not responsive to the OP's requests. I've removed a bunch of posts in the thread that weren't helpful to the OP's requests.

Please keep posts on topic, and please respect the OP's viewpoint. We aren't going to change anyone's opinions, pro or con, on religion or athiesm, so the best way we can support those in our community with beliefs different than our own is to either not comment at all, or comment in a way that's respectful to the beliefs of those whose viewpoints are different than our own.

4. Ticklish Fish

Well, I just remember I post this last night and I don't know what happened lol.

I mean, I could say that I am dealing with believes/reasoning too, but like Chip said that's not the point of this thread as of now haha.

Thanks for response?

5. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you post a link to the video?

6. Jonathan

Here's the video:

[YOUTUBE]4OiDrbipW34[/YOUTUBE]