1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defective human being - help?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LailaForbidden, Aug 13, 2013.

1. LailaForbidden

Why hello EC,

I have an issue here that has been causing me trouble for a long time. I'm kind of fucked up, to be honest. Here my problem: I make everything a struggle. I'm incapable of relaxing, going with the flow. I am in constant conflict with myself. Even with small things, like, trying to figure out if I like someone, makes my mind spiral out into 'what ifs' and worry and depression.

I know it's not right, I know it's not healthy, I tell myself to stop over-thinking everything and calm the crap down, but I can't make myself change. At least not yet. I don't know how... it's caused me a lot of emotional turmoil, and it's put a lot of stress on relationships in my life. I'm just not sure what to do. It drives me insane.

So i don't know.. is there anyone who relates? Anyone with any advice?

2. endear

Hi! I have a history of chronic worrying. I would at times avoid things because I couldn't make a decision. Besides therapy, I read this book called "wherever you go, there you are " by Jon Kabat-Zinn. This book has taught me to recognize my feelings more accurately and becoming mindful. I notice decrease in anxiety and overall improvement in my well-being. Hope this is helpful.

3. biggayguy

I can relate. Sometimes I have a hard time deciding what to have for my next meal. I overthink what to say to a cute guy or gal. By the time I work it out the opportunity is gone. Some people have the gift of gab but not me. Somebody told me to join Toastmasters to become more comfortable speaking. I may try it.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a mild anxiety condition. I have a friend like this and she has poor sleep, worries constantly about things and procrastinates a lot - all because of anxiety.

You must recognise anxiety as a 'condition' and can be brought under control with some proper guidance. There are simple things you can do - but if it is affecting you badly you might talk to your doctor about it...

5. BooksJeansTea

I was like that. One day I finally hit rock bottom and realized all the worry didn't get me anything but more to worry about. I had to recognize when I was slipping back into the pattern and just ... stop. I know it doesn't sound very helpful but the point is that you are capable of overcoming it. You have to develop new habits and break the old ones. It's hard but totally doable.