1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling with Negativity

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by KazTastic, Aug 13, 2013.

1. KazTastic

Hi,

So I've been depressed for a while, and while I'm on antidepressants, I still feel like crap most of the time (and I'd like to get off them at some point). I'm between cities and therapists, which makes things hard, and I've started binge eating again, which is probably going to impact my health.

I've always been quite a lazy, negative, pessimistic person for as long as I remember, but now I think enough is enough.

How do I stop having such negative thoughts? How can I take my life back from the negativity that has consumed me for the past 20 years? Can I start controlling it myself, or do I need to get into therapy.

Thank You

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem with anti-depressants. They don't seem to do much. Although some tend to help reduce anxious feelings.

I do think the meds are just a stabilising device, whereas therapy is where you can begin to plot your way to a new life. Working with a good therapist can be very positive.

Especially if you have certain blocks or issues that are holding you back?

3. dontuwishgui

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
  4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's a place to start. According to your profile, you're 20 years old - so negativity has not been consuming you for 20 years. I doubt you were depressed as an infant. :slight_smile:

There are, of course, a lot of ways to start training yourself to think more positively - and I use the word "training" on purpose, because it really isn't always intuitive, especially if you're used to depressive and self-defeating thought patterns. The article dontuwishgui posted is a good start.

Based on what I quoted, one big thing I would suggest is to start avoiding absolutes and universals in your self-reflective statements. Not, "I've always been negative," but "thinking about it, I've definitely been having negative thoughts for the past 5 years." Not, "I can't do this," but "I can't do it right now," or "I didn't manage to do it today." Not "I always manage to screw [whatever given thing] up," but "I screwed it up today, maybe I won't next time." Some of the more neutral and positive statements might even sound naive at first, but in the end, they're really more true than the negative ones.

As for therapy - first of all, if you're on antidepressants, I'm assuming you have at least a doctor prescribing them? But if you're talking about counseling and such, a good rule of thumb is, if you feel like you need to go, then go. The counselor will tell you what they think and what options are best. An evaluation appointment to start doesn't necessarily need any commitment.