1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does one fake it till you make it?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

This is in terms of confidence and being positive. Since half the time I am very introverted and shy and well... Negative about almost everything

2. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll have to admit that even though it is not easy, if I can do it then I'm sure you can too.

Step 1. Laugh at everything and anything. Can't find anything to laugh about? Watch a comedy movie and or TV show...

Step 2. Listen to your favorite music and blast it! Dance and sing along.

Step 3. Scare someone, hide in the closet--no pun intended...and jump out and watch them scream :grin:

^ I can relate to this step the most because I'm usually the victim.

Step 4. Think about how lucky you truly are; things could be a lot worse.

Step 5. Think about your crush/current significant other..."Ohh, wait a minute, are you smiling?"

Step 6. Learn a new language. I'm currently learning Japanese and Spanish and boy, do I sound ridiculous trying to pronounce certain words. My boys make me laugh because they think it's funny.

Step 7. Hug the person closest to you and tell them how much they mean to you :slight_smile:

And that's how you fake it until you make it, because at the end of the day, you would have forgotten why you were feeling negative. Repeat the steps above every day and you'll soon realize how much better you will feel, I promise (*hug*)

#2 pinklov3ly, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. pippi

Hi Gazza, For me, when I get down and depressed and negative on life, I have to "force" myself to do things even when I don't feel like it. Sometimes I have to take little sticky notes and stick them on everything! Refrigerator, mirrors, someplace in every room of the house. I call them affirmation notes. They will say things like..."I am loveable" "I am worthwhile" "I don't have to be anyone other than who I am" "I am perfect just the way I am" stuff like that. Even if I don't believe it. I also find some silly sitcom on TV to watch that will make me laugh. Or I go to you tube and google, "baby and children's laughs"...because those are contagious and guaranteed to make me laugh out loud! And the most important thing I do, is take myself down to "All I have to do is get thru this day" Because if I look at tomorrow, or next week, I get overwhelmed. But if I stay focused and in the moment, then I can usually change my attitude and find some kind of goodness to my day. Hope this helps!

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to add something, but my 15 mins of fame were up. I'm pretty shy and introverted as well and it is ruining my life. However, in order to feel more comfortable you have to do things that will make you feel uncomfortable. So, that way you get used to feeling comfortable, by overcoming your fears.

5. Hiems

I second this. Becoming comfortable entails making yourself vulnerable. You become exposed to new experiences and get to meet people. When my teacher asked me to join my high school's chapter of the Junior Classical League, I felt so afraid at first, as I never participated in an extracurricular activity prior to that moment. But I said "Why not?" I'm good at Latin, so I can contribute to my high school's team at tournaments and make friends along the way. All of that occurred for me.

Sometimes taking risks - even if they're safe risks, as in my instance - results in good things.