1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to learn Norwegian?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hun, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Hun

Hun

I've been looking for places near me that can teach Norwegian. The Bokmål form in particular. However, I'm in South Carolina. There is not a strong presence of any Scandinavian culture, and I haven't the time nor money to study overseas. I am familiar with basic vocabulary and pronunciation from various books and online courses, but those aren't cutting it anymore. Is there any hope for me to continue my studies of the Norwegian language?

2. Since Norwegian is only spoken in Norway, maybe your best bet is to stick with the books for a bit more and maybe listen to some Norwegian news broadcasts. You won't be able to understand everything they're saying, so don't get discouraged. In my case, for example, I'm fluent in French, but it's still a little hard for me to understand everything that's said on TV to the extent that I do in English. So, just listen to the same ones over and over again until you get used to the sounds of the words that are being said. You be able to pick up more and more each time. Also, make conversation with yourself in Norwegian. Most language-learners do it. I do it, and my friends do it, and it helps the language stick. Good for you for learning such a challenging language by the way, that's really awesome. Good luck!

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you could afford it, a 3 week intensive course in Norway would teach you ten times more than any course at home ... Intensive submersion is how I learned French and I swear by it.

Alternatively ... you could email the Norwegian embassy / cultural department and they may have a list of places nearer to you

Good luck

4. Hun

Hun

Around how much would intensive studies cost?

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  6. Hun

Hun

I have tried as many online courses as I could, but there gets to be a point where they stop being effective. I have reached that point.

7. Sayu

I'd say movies are very good for improving any language that you are trying to learn! :slight_smile: When you will know same basics, put on some of your favourite movies in Norwegian language and you'll remember at least some phrases/idioms/words for sure! :slight_smile: Good luck! :slight_smile:

8. ouji

ouji Guest

Try mylanguageexchange.com and also forvo.com
    The first one you can speak with native speaker from around the world. Add them on Skype , and you can do video chat.
    The second one you don't actually talk to anyone. You just listen to how the words are pronounced in the language that you are learning. Try using both sites. They are both good in there own way.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could always go to Norway :slight_smile:

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [/QUOTE]

Around how much would intensive studies cost?[/QUOTE]

Well... not at all sure, but probably quite expensive - especially if you are thinking to do it in Norway which has one of the highest costs of living anywhere

Cds and books can work but, personally, my mind (and enthusiasm) tends to wander off at the thought of it !! But that's just me.

So classes of some sort near you is one option, or going to Norway is the other thought

Why Norwegian if its not too nosey???:eusa_liar

11. Hun

Hun

I have a love affair with that county. I love its people, its culture, its language, everything really. It would be a dream come true if I were to ever live in Norway, but I'd be content with just knowing the language.

12. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if Rosetta Stone has a program for Norwegian (I'm doubting it does) but if that doesn't work there are always video you could search for online about learning it. It's not spoken anywhere really except Norway and so many native Norwegians know English which makes it a hard language to find resources for. If all else fails, maybe you can also look for music videos or movies. Books are limited, but they're out there.

13. Hun

Hun

Rosetta Stone has a Swedish program, which would be the closest to Norwegian, but I tend to not use Rosetta Stone at all, actually. On other languages I've tried with it (German and Hebrew), it's never been all that helpful.

14. Bleak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As someone who learned Norwegian, I would recommend (1) På vei (for beginners), (2) Sten på sten (intermediate), and (3) Her på berget (advanced). These books are completely in Norwegian, but since you already know a bit, you shouldn't have any problems getting started with these.

In addition to that I would recommend a grammar book. I found Norsk som fremmedspråk - Grammatikk to be an excellent book (also completely in Norwegian).

If you want to try yourself on the spoken language, there are always audiobooks (lydbøker), and I believe NRK has a couple of videos accessible on their website. With respect to movies, it could get a bit difficult. You can watch some Norwegian movies on netflix, if you have access to the Norwegian version of it (VPN required).

Anyway, then there are newspapers, of course. The biggest one should be Aftenposten, if I am not mistaken. The other ones that spring to mind are VG, Dagens Næringsliv and Dagbladet.

Now, if I could use PMs, I would offer you to contact me, if you have further questions, but I can't :frowning2:

Lykke til!

15. Hun

Hun

Takk!

16. mpl

mpl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recommend you these sites: italki: Learn a language online InterPals Penpals :: Make friends online and find free pen pals from around the world!