1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I overcome feelings of envy and jealousy?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GingerGuy, Aug 14, 2013.

1. GingerGuy

Some people say that beyond envious of others successes is inherent to being human. Until a while ago, I constantly believed that I was just beyond true to myself by desiring pretty much everything others have. Today, though, I thought about the subject for a while and realized that this personality trait really hurts me and my social life. I've lost many friends in the past months due to my own stupidity, and now I feel envious of their lives pretty much all the time. Don't even get me started on relationships, when I see a couple kissing or hear that others are dating and having sex, the first thing that comes to my mind is the typical "why not me?" I don't even need to meet the people I believe to have much better lives than I do. I feel depressed when reading about other EC members dating. And it's not just that: I easily tend to believe that everyone from my school has more friends, more free time, more abilities, etc. And these feelings are making me suffer.

Right now, I feel in a good mood, but as soon as something bad happens in my life, the sensations easily regenerate. I know many people will say that I should try improving upon myself, but I'll tell you all, it's very though, and life won't always give you the opportunities for it. But this time, I feel like I NEED to spot this addiction. Before it consumes me entirely and makes me lose the few friends I have left.

So what can I do?

2. kresukun

What you shouldn't do is care about all of those people from school, they are people from your past. F*** those guys and their egotistic attitudes you don't need to care what they are doing.

I kind of feel like I have messed up my life, I'm quitting a University course that I never enjoyed from the day I started. My friends are rejecting me for that reason, so I'm left trying to make my life from the shards of a life I have.

Keep your best friends close, and make new ones. We are all here, no matter the circumstances you see yourself faced with, someone has likely had it a lot worse. Make friends here and enjoy yourself, that's what I'm at least trying to do.

3. Wells

Wells Guest

I feel like that all the time! And I recently found a way to quell them feelings. Not so they never happen, but just so they happen less. If you wanna drop a wall message in to ask me at anytime what this is then please do. I'm happy to help

4. LinkLarkin

This is my life. I think you just have to learn to be grateful for the things that you do have and make sensible steps towards reaching the goals of the things that you don't have yet.

5. kem

kem

I'm sorry that you've lost friends. :frowning2: That is too bad.
    I think you should try to work out why you're feeling jealousy and envy, and why do you think everyone has more of everything than you. If you can understand where your feelings are coming from, maybe you can work on it.

I admit that I get a little jealous when I see couples, too, and sometimes I feel like I'll be forever alone; I'll never meet anyone or no one will love me. I can usually just shrug it off by saying to myself: "I don't know what'll happen in the future and I don't want to think about it."

6. ScatteredEarth

I know how you feel, it tends to be a pain in the ass when you see someone who has a better life than you. I used to stay awake at night wishing I had the things others had. There just came a point where I just pretty much accepted what I have. I'm grateful for what little I do have now.

I think an easy little trick that I used was just imagining what those people would be like when they got older.. Snobby, arrogant, slothlike, etc etc. It gives you a sense of pride that you worked to get what you wanted. Actually the people I used to imagine older, got older, and they turned out exactly like I thought they would. :slight_smile: