1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety and depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Noivern, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Noivern

Noivern Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have anxiety and depression and have had it for a couple of years. I went to the doctors 3 times but they haven't been helpful. I went to uni in 2011 but dropped out because of it. I decided to go back to uni this year to do a different course. I don't feel ready to go back but I really don't know what else to do with my life. Last time was such a bad experience and I am so scared that I feel sick. I go back in one months time :frowning2: Oh yeah, I am 20 if any of you were wondering :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The thing that is bothering me the most is that I like this guy who I thought liked me too, but he doesn't. I posted a few threads about this before so feel free to look at them if you want to know more :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I was so happy that a guy I found really attractive found me attractive too and I thought I had a chance of being his bf. I have never been happy with my body image or the way I look, but I started to feel good about myself. Last time I spoke to him was over a month ago. I sent him one or two texts since then, but it is obvious he is ignoring me. He posts pics on facebook and it makes me feel like crap. I know I shouldn't look, but it drives me insane if I don't :frowning2:

He has posted a pic on fb today and I now feel awful. Part of it is because I miss him, but most of it is because I don't have the courage to do anything I want. This all links back to my anxiety and depression because he can go to gay bars on his own, can make friends easily, has confidence and is living life. I wish I could do all those things. I am not an attractive person and have never been in a relationship before. I have been to gay bars quite a few times before with my friends, but no one approaches me or speaks to me. No matter how drunk I get, I can never seem to go up to anyone and say hello. There are so many opportunities I have missed out on and are load of things I want to do but can't.

I feel so upset and angry at myself :frowning2: Work isn't helping either. Although everyone I work with is really friendly, it is just having interaction with so many people in one day. I know it may sound stupid to some, but I am just waiting for something to happen and I will just snap.

Sorry for going on for so long, but thanks to anyone that reads it.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What did your doctors say? Might be worth asking about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) it';s done absolute wonders for my anxiety and depression...

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Noivern,

(anxiety and depression.. my pet subject ... for all the wrong reasons!).

If anxiety and depression are affecting you so much you need some help and I am sorry the meds you were prescribed did not work for you. If you are happy to try again, there may be others better suited to you. Your doctor may be the wrong person to see (how can they decide in 5 minutes is what I always wonder??). I have often been given meds that were ineffective. So you could ask for a referral to a phsychiatrist who can better assess you and recommend what to do.

In the meantime, short term, your doctor might agree to give you something to take away the current/immediate anxiety. I won't stray in to advising what .. but I was put on a medication and the anxiety disappeared overnight to my great relief ... real life enhancing results. I was also put on an antidepressant that has combined action of anti-anxiety/ anti depressant. (But they take time to work so hence the short term med).

I think Uni would be a great thing to do. If nothing else a 'vehicle' to get you 'out there' doing something and a better social life to widen your circle of friends. But you need to go in with a firm strategy of how to manage the mood problems.

As for the self confidence and body image things.. I think that is likely all distorted by your depressed state of mind. Once you feel well and have got your Mojo back I am sure your feelings about yourself will improve.

Then there is therapy. I always recommend this for all sorts of reasons (if nothing else it can be a head sorting process and life-coach experience). And also Elia's comments about CBT are also valid and worth looking in to.

As for 'the guy' ... you either got to push yourself to communicate or meet up, or decide to let him go. Why not suggest a film or exhibition?? Or go as a group of 3 or 4 people so it is not so pressured?

best

4. LinkLarkin

So much of what you said describes my life. I'm also twenty, also suffering from anxiety, depression, and poor body image. Also struggling with friends who don't get back to me and never initiate things.

What exactly did your doctor say to you? Was it just the one doctor or have you had a second opinion? As ElliaOtaku said, CBT is supposed to be extremely helpful. I've only just started it so can't give a personal opinion, but many people have told me it did wonders for them.

I wish I could give better news, but if you've been depressed for a couple of years then it's probably not going to go away by itself, try the doctors again and try speaking to one that you haven't seen before. (*hug*)

5. Noivern

Noivern Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the replies :slight_smile: I have went to different doctors before, but 2 of them gave me information about anxiety and different breathing techniques which I did for a couple of months but felt no difference. The other one said he would send me a letter referring me to a therapy place, but it never came. It takes so long to get into my doctors though and the next closest appointment isn't until next month :frowning2:

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2013 at 08:47 AM ----------

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: I do hope I do become more social at university, but I felt like I would become more social the last time I went but I never :frowning2: It takes a long time to get into my doctors so I will just have to wait.

As for the guy, we were speaking on an app for a couple of months and we would arrange a day to meet up but as the day got closer, he would ignore me, but start up a conversation again a couple of days later and pretended like nothing happened. This happened about 3 or 4 times. Anyway, I eventually met up with him and I went out drinking with his friends. He mentioned something about a relationship, but we were both drunk. For a couple of days after, we were texting each other and we decided to meet up again, but he would ignore me and start a conversation up a couple of days after, like before. A week after we met, we did send drunk texts and he did say to me that I should be his bf sometime because he likes me. We were talking about the Xbox during the last proper conversation we had which was over a month ago. I sent him a text asking for his gamertag, and I sent him a text saying hello a couple of weeks after but got no response. I don't want to send more because I don't want to annoy him, and it is obvious he isn't interested in me. I suppose if he was interested in me, he could have text me as well.