1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making friends at university?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gibson234, Aug 16, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a shy person who doesn't have a great history of making friends. I'm going to university in 5 weeks. Do you guys have any tips of making friends there?

2. Fellow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think best thing you should do is attend to events your college does where is likely to be the majority of all students, you know, like group activities or something, or maybe join some clubs in which you possibly get interested in.

3. DrAdam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Take every opportunity to meet people at the start of uni and make loads of new friends, you will drop a lot of them as time goes on and settle with a group of friends you keep and get very close to. Go to the Freshers Fayre and join societies that interest you. You will find that at university the majority of people will like you for who you are anyway, it is not like school where you feel under pressure constantly to conform to crazes or other people's idea of what is cool. I have had a great first year at uni and I am willing to bet that you will too :grin:

4. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your best chance to make new friends is now (as an incoming freshman). Everyone around you is also looking for friends, so most people will be very open to talking to and hanging out with new people.

If you're living in the dorms, making friends should be very easy. I'm extremely shy and introverted, but within a week, I found myself hanging out with a group of 10 other girls who lived on my floor. It was easy as this: I talked to my roommate. My roommate talked to another girl. My roommate introduced me to this girl. This girl introduced us to her roommate and another girl. That girl knew a couple others. Then we all ended up being introduced to one another when we decided to get together to have dinner one night in the dining hall haha. Then boom, I found my group. Granted, it didn't stay that way for the rest of the year. The large group broke down into mini groups, but I still found myself with 4 other friends who I spent all my time with.

During freshmen week, there should be activities that your school hosts. If they have special gatherings or booths or information groups about certain clubs or subjects that interest you, you should attend them. I took a leap and went to a "meeting" for LGBT students who were interested in joining our campus's LGBT clubs. There weren't many people there, but I met one gay guy who has turned out to be my closest friend. We met day one, hit it off, and stayed friends after 3 years.

Besides the obvious joining clubs, you can meet people in classes or even in the dining hall. Sometimes, strangers just ask if they can sit with you, or if you see someone eating alone or something, you can invite them to sit with you. Especially in the first few weeks of freshman year, it's pretty easy to meet people. People are strangely open to giving out their phone numbers to people they just met for two seconds because they're all trying to make friends!

Good luck!