1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I got money stolen from me by my housekeeper

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheDude, Aug 16, 2013.

1. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm so mad right now. Since last thursday money has been disappearing from my drawer. First it was 100 bucks, and I thought it was weird at the moment, but knowing myself I thought that maybe I counted wrong. So I started writing how much money I had and how much I took. This tuesday another 100 bucks went missing, and this time I was like 99,99% sure it was her. So I wrote down each bill's serial number, so the next time I knew for sure. Today I came home to find out that another 100 bucks are missing. I feel so angry. I work really hard for those and she just pretends everything is ok and laughs with me, or at least she did early this morning. I can't believe it. She has been with us (me and my family) for almost 5 years. She didn't have any job and we took her and treated her like one more of the family. We even cheered when she pursued becoming a teacher and took her back when she failed.
    I feel like calling her and saying was it worth it?
    My mom has already said to me that she will be fired, but I'm still uneasy about this. I feel like the vein on my forehead is about to pop.
    Not really looking for any advice, I just need to vent.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That stinks... but could it be anyone else with access to your place?
    Best to be sure before pointing the finger.

3. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I live with my mom and my two sisters, and they weren't yesterday. They don't even know where I keep my money. Plus, it happened in the afternoon, when my sisters are at college and my mom at work. I know because I counted the money before leaving.

4. RainbowMan

I moved this to the Chit-Chat forum where it might be more appropriate.

5. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, I didn't know where to put it.

6. RainbowMan

No problem, and sorry to hear that your money got stolen. That's a lot of cash over the course of several days. :frowning2:

7. Wiiluigi1998

Wiiluigi1998 Guest

Oh my god! I would be really mad if I lost 100 DOLLARS every day o.o I would freak out.

8. dreambig

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's terrible but as others say you have to be sure it is them for definite !

9. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, it was. This really messed up my week.

---------- Post added 16th Aug 2013 at 04:21 PM ----------

Unfortunately I'm sure it was her. My sisters swear they don't took any money from me, they don't even know where I keep it. And it isn't the first time actually. My sister said a couple of times that money was missing from her, but we didn't take her seriously because she doesn't count it.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Logical question:

Clearly this is theft, and in the US it would be a felony. You could confront her and ask what's going on. Perhaps there's some major family emergency or something. Give her the benefit of the doubt, and invite her to own up to it and make arrangements to pay you back, with the clear indication that if she doesn't own up, you'll call police, file a police report and file charges against her.

No matter how nice she's been, theft is theft. And if she's willing to be that brazen with you, I guarantee she's stealing in other ways as well.

11. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice, but it would be hard for me to proof that she stole the money. It would only be my words against hers. And like you said, theft is theft, no matter if the money went for a family emergency. She has in the past several times asked for money and we have always agreed to it, so she knows that if she had asked for it we would have helped her. Because of that, it makes me think that she stole the money from me thinking that I wouldn't notice. And even if she admitted to it, I can't trust her anymore.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least in the US, if you called police and filed charges, they'd likely arrest her on the basis of your sworn statement, especially if anyone else in the family can corroborate that you kept money there. Proof isn't always necessary. Additionally, police are really good at getting confessions out of people.

I wouldn't just let it go, or just can her because... if there are no consequences, she'll just do the same to someone else.

13. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know, unfortunately law doesn't work like that here. Most likely it would be overlooked by the police, as it is not very rare for this to happen. Or worst, if I fail to back up my statement, she would probably sue me and law would be on her side.

14. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

Get a nanny-cam so it's on video

15. Batman is swag

Whoa... that majorly sucks dude... I'm sorry =(

16. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Liquid laundry bluing. It stains clothing and the skin and doesnt come off. If its a stack of bills then put a couple of drops on a top small bill and youll get at the very least closure. You can also use it in your trash if someones snooping. <--- Heard about this and it seems like it would work.

17. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the support guys. We are planning to put a video cam in my room, so we can have it in tape in case she denies it.