1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Starting Up Again

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CalebCael, Aug 16, 2013.

1. CalebCael

So it's that time of the year again. In about half a month school will be starting up and I am terrified. I'm quite honestly shaking in my boots (metaphorical, as it's a tad hot to be wearing boots here) because gosh darn it, my anxiety will get the better of me and I really can't handle my life when stress comes in. The schedules came in today, and I have no clue whether any of my friends are in my classes. I have fairly prominent social anxiety so I'm not so keen on this. This whole thing is just terrifying to me. On top of that I have to pull some grades up so I can go to a good college, and all of this never fails to crash and I end up being a useless pile of crap. Basically I can't really find too much to look forward to, besides some club activities and friends. Any advice on not screwing up this year like every other year? Thanks.

2. Hiems

Most of my friends posted their schedules as a note via Facebook and tagged their friends as a means of notifying. They discussed online whether or not they had the same classes and then took the appropriate measures to change schedules. While some changed schedules, others kept them for convenience, regardless of not having certain friends in the desired class period. Perhaps you could do this as a way of getting friends in the same class.

I would develop study habits in high school because you will use them again in university. They include note-taking, doing assigned readings and taking notes for them before coming to class, using index cards for rote memorization, doing assigned practice problems for math, chemistry, etc. If you find any course material to be difficult, then ask your teacher, seek a tutor if available, or find YouTube videos for help. For instance, Khan Academy is useful for explaining concepts for certain science courses.

Keep in mind that most colleges do not look only at grades. While your SAT/ACT scores and cumulative GPA are important components, they aren't the only parts about you. If you have extracurricular activities, then you can improve your application, especially if they are relevant to the college major you're applying for, e.g. you have been an active member of DECA for 3 years and are planning to apply to a business school. That most colleges consider you as an overall student isn't a disincentive to slack off academically, but it's a way to challenge you to succeed in and out of school.

I hope this advice helps :slight_smile: