1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only gay guy who is unattractive?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

This sucks! It's like I'm the only gay guy in this college town that isn't attractive. I want to talk to guys that I know are gay. They're all so far "out of my league" that I wouldn't dare try to talk to them. Wish I was blessed with good looks like so many other people in this town.

BTW, I'm not really that insecure, I just know how this stuff works. Guys like these don't go for guys like me. And It seems like every college guy is really good looking. :icon_sad:

2. letzdance109

letzdance109 Guest

:eek: You stop right there! Haha, you shouldn't say things like that! I'm sure that you are certainly attractive, trust me! Sure, there will always be those people who we see and think, "Damn, I can never look that good," or,"Damn, I will never get a guy like that." But you need to realize that looks can only get someone so far. Someone could look like a freakin god, but if they don't have a nice personality, then they might as well be ugly! Don't think that you won't be able to get an 'attractive' guy, because there are guys who look for personality first! You work what you got with positivity and confidence, and you'll grab yourself a great guy! :grin:

3. Sarah1

Sarah1 Guest

its a distorted self image when I feel like this i just tell myself "I have the uglies" this helps make it less meaningful

4. Doubtfulll

Doubtfulll Guest

Your 19..give ur self a chance to grow..and work on what you can..and don't decide for others what they are usually attracted to...there is all kind of tastes.

Plus physical attraction does not seal the deal.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, in the whole world, you are the only one...

NOT!!!!

Don't limit yourself to the hottest guys. Gay guys in particular have a bad habit of focusing on looks, whereas personality is more important if you want anything more than hookups. very attractive people are unsurprisingly prone to cheating and other undesirable traits. Also, confidence goes a long way in how others think of you. Sometimes those very same hot guys are often a little lonely because too many people are intimidated by them to even approach them.

6. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You probably arent as ugly as you think and the right person for you wont care.
    Luckily you are gay so makeup isnt out of the question if you are super concerned :grin:
    (bad advice)

Outside appearances dont matter because people are into everything, you will find people who think you are awesomely attractive.
    Cheers!

7. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Everyone has good points. However, I feel as if the guys who would go out with me, I wouldn't be attracted to. I need to be attracted to whoever I'm with as well, and I sure as hell wouldn't date myself.

I look in the mirror and just feel gross about myself. I take care of myself and what not. It's just something I can't change.

Whenever I see a cute guy walk by when I'm out In public I feel bad, I feel this sadness rush over me and get a dropping feeling In my stomach, it's like they exist just to torture me. It sucks, it really does.

8. Oxelotl

Okay I have this problem as well. Well had. Well I think this way at the very least. I think I'm the only unnattractive gay guy, and that's a thought that terrifies me every day. But I've learned that we notice our own imperfections and focus on them more than strangers viewpoint on your imperfections. You notice every thing wrong iwth you. And only you do that. Everyone else, notices nothing, and focuses on few things. So you may think your unnattractive, but you actually are, in your own individual way. And besides, if someone truly loved you, they wou;dn't care about your imperfections, they'd love you for you.

9. Doubtfulll

Doubtfulll Guest

You wouldn't date your self is exactly the standard you need to let go off....guys are attracted to things that sometimes are like them sometimes are not....!

I know there is a lot of cliques in the LGBT community..but it happens frequently that you see...I'll say that for your sake...'odd couples'....not that they are odd, but I understand how you are thinking I used to think the same way.

10. Deranged06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to think that way, about the "league" thing, like there are times that i would think "oh this guy is so handsome/hot but he's out of my league" then he will make eye contact, then start to talk and compliments me... And i would be like surprised/confused and in my head I would be like "huh? is he talking to me? Shit don't make it awkward compose yourself" lol. So I guess there's no such thing as leagues, it's about preference/type...
    We all have our own insecurities, yes even those guys that you consider "hot". So it's just a matter of how you carry yourself. Talk to everyone, be friendly. If you get ignored then move on... don't think so low of yourself man.... Smile :slight_smile: those guys that you consider hot will find something attractive about you, you have to see yourself as a catch too...

#10 Deranged06, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  11. Pocky

You know, I have had the same experiences. Sometimes it's like a mixture of lust and jealousy all rolled into one :bang:

But the stuff I judge my own looks upon are usually so minuscule and irrelevant that I get a completely distorted view of my own appearance.
    One example, I was feeling 'ugly' looking in the mirror one morning because I messed up shaving and my sideburns were uneven. For anyone else, I wouldn't be analysing their sideburns...that's for sure.

I also think that those unbearably hot guys sometimes divert attention away from many other guys who are cute but we overlook because of those other guys on our mind.
    My point being that there is very likely a lot of very good looking guys who you might unconsciously be overlooking. It might mean joining up or going somewhere (LGBT group?) where you can meet said guys.

Man...I really need to take my own advice sometimes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes, a lot of these good-looking guys don't get hit upon as often as you think, primarily because other guys think they are too good-looking and therefore unapproachable...funny no?

I would suggest you try anyway with those you think are "above your league?, a little humour, a little forthrightness can be very charming no matter what you look like.

13. srslywtf

Pics or I dont believe you!

The game of attraction is 10% looks and 90% confidence & character.

It sounds like you have some image issues within your own mind though, when you say you wouldn't date someone who looks like you.. This shows how much value you place on looks above substance

14. TacoswithJuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This will sound really weird. If you "believe" that you are beautiful, then a quality of confidence comes out of you that makes you more attractive. Confidence is attractive.

Also, just try talking to them. If you are friends then surely one of them will eventually be attracted to you. Or they might like you from the start! :grin:

Give yourself a chance

15. Time

A lot of the guys I'm attracted to are considered unattractive by my friends. I have weird taste. Guys will find you attractive. Maybe not all of them, but they're out there. Beauty is only skin deep anyway though. If a guy dismisses you because you're "ugly", he's not worth your time.

16. LinkLarkin

Oh God no, you're not the only one! You should see me if you think you're unattractive, you'd almost certainly look like Ryan Reynolds in comparison! I not only embody the "Forever Alone" rage face, I look like it too.

The advice everyone else has given you is spot on. It's not up to you to decide whether they're out of your league, it's up to them - and if they think they're out of your league physically, you're certainly out of their league emotionally.

You sound from your posts like you're dwelling on this a lot. Instead of letting yourself be grossed out when you look in a mirror, try to focus on all your good points, and repeat them to yourself like a mantra. That should help you to feel better about yourself. Otherwise you'll descend into a miserable state where you're too frightened to even look in the mirror anymore, and trust me, you do not want to end up like me.

17. Amerigo

we notice "conventional good looks" with ease, but can be turned off just as easily once they open their mouths to speak.

18. Incognito10

At BEST, I consider myself just average. I've learned to shift my focus from negative self image to one of health. To me, anyone who is striving to live a healthy life is attractive, if that makes sense. If you're eating right, exercising, carrying yourself with poise and a healthy level of confidence and treat people right, you're attractive! "Attractiveness" is very holistic, to me.

19. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really, you are probably being much harder on yourself than anyone else is. I have a daughter in high school and am always amazed at how many of the pretty girls are unattached, while there are a few who are downright ugly, but very friendly and self-confident, have boyfriends. I think a lot of it is more in how you look to YOURSELF than how you look to anyone else. We can all work on that (me included!).

20. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Look looks only go so far... wait I'll try that one again

So..

Attraction at first admittedly goes by looks. It's not a good way to judge someone but thats generally how it goes but here's the catch...

Not everyone is attracted to the same type of guy. What you see as a 'hot guy' might not be a 'hot guy' to someone else. It all comes down to preference and trust me, there is someone out there for you.

I know how it feels but I've gotten a lot better. I maybe still somewhat obsessed on trying to look perfect but truth it "I'm me" and "I'm great the way I am" and that is what you should say to yourself because you are.

You are unique. There's no one else out there like you. So be proud of that fact and at 19 you don't wanna be looking for a boyfriend. I'm 23 and I still haven't found my guy, which is a little "ugh" sometimes but I get through it.

Enjoy your life!