1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tayyyyy, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Tayyyyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I'm bisexual and I've been struggling with it big time. I was raised in the church of God. My family consider being gay a sin, and that's how I was raised as well. I've only been able to tell three people that I am bisexual, and that's because they don't have the same beliefs as me. I can never tell my family or they will disown me. I don't want to keep pretending to be something I'm not, but I fear that I will never be able to be myself either. I don't know what to do.

2. Gen

Gen

You happiness comes before the expectations of others. In the worse case scenario, they might disown you, and/or will take a very long time to come around. While that will be painful in the beginning, you have to realize that you deserve better than people who won't accept you for who you are.

Living a lie never brings anyone contentment. You only have one chance at life, and you have to do everything you can to enjoy it.

3. Tayyyyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    But my family is the most important thing to me, and if I lose them over my sexuality it would probably kill me. I already get full blown panic attacks everytime I consider telling them about it. I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if I were to tell them and them reject me.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gen is correct .. But it doesn't mean you have to rock the boat with your parents immediately. It probably needs a short and medium term plan so that you are ready, living independently and with your own support network. You can choose the timing but make sure you are ready.

5. diegohrz

Hi,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that :frowning2:.

Second, I'm with bingostring on this one, although what Gen said is true too, especially the thing about other's expectations. But if you're still dependent on your family and fear their rejection that much, I would also advise you to create/find an 'independent' support network, so that you have something to fall back on in case of an undesirable reaction from your parents.