1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signing off guardianship

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Fugs, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents suggested the other day that I sign a bunch of papers that give them power over any and all medical decisions. Basically by signing it I'll be labeled as incompetent as far as the government is concerned.

Now I understand the purpose, I get suicidal like clockwork and they're left in the dark whenever I'm put back into a mental hospital. I also know that when I'm in that state of mind misery is all I can think of. Death is my focus and I might as well not even hear anyone else attempts at pulling me back up.

But this would mean that I'd basically be a kid again, or worse an incompetent adult. I'm thinking of going through with it but Idk what to expect really, what else won't I be able to do? What if I want to move out someday?

I do have to admit that a document stating my incompetency would look damn good for disability income.

Idk... with all this bipolar, borderline personality disorder, social phobia, major depressive disorder, governmental documents, and mountains of medications, I feel overwhelmed. Maybe it would make things easier if I signed off on my competency. What do you guys think?

2. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Im sorry to hear that, i wish you the best.

If you go in for treatment and try to get through this, you are not incompetent. If you cant get better but keep trying, you are not incompetent. If you still have a desire to live, even if brief, you are not incompetent.

If you have nothing to give, but you still try, you are not incompetent.

I know a few people who are incompetent, they tend to be full of themselves, greedy, lazy, overly dramatic, only dying for attention and are needy.

I see none of this in you.
    You are a human being.

But even if you sign off your competence, i will think no different of you. No one will if unless you convince them otherwise.

A bit dramatic, but maybe that will help :grin:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your parents are definitely looking after your best interests when you're not able to due to the mental health issues. Signing the form will ensure that they can keep tabs on the doctors and ensure that you get the care you need and you have strong advocates looking out for you.

You can always request a court hearing to determine competence if you want out of it later and your parents don't agree. I think this is the best possible choice for you right now.

4. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Ev. I agree with Chip completely. Like you said when you are in that state all you think of is misery your parents just want to help you when you can't help yourself signing thses papers will ensure that they can.

5. qwr42

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^much better than mine, i was just afraid this would get buried :slight_smile:
    Definitely what chip said.