1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what happened?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Aug 20, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay so I went to the police program meeting yesterday and OF COURSE, we were going to do scenarios and The scenario was you had to hit this guy with a baton and Yell at him to get on the ground and I hate yelling, I can't yell, I can't be assertive. Like AT ALL.

Anyways, Before the scenerio, I was paired up with this guy and we were waiting in line and I was becoming more nervous by the minute and then On Top of being nervous, they were making everyone do this

Sprint to one commander- do 10 push ups
    Spring to the other commander - do 10 push ups

then do it again twice more and it was really hard when it got to do 30 push ups
    and so after that, we Had to go straight in there to do the scenario and the First one, i forgot what we were doing and failed that one and then I went to the next scenario and I was struggling to yell get the 'suspect' on the ground and it wouldn't come out, I was becoming embarrassed and i was also struggling to hit him with the baton and so he saw that I was struggling and was going a little easier on me and so i enacted on arresting him and THAT'S WHEN it started happening again. :dry:

They sat me down and I started breathing but it was hard, it was like every time, I took a breath in, My throat was closed up like when you breathe through a straw and He was again telling me to breath in and out and it took awhile for me to get my breathing under control. I guess, you could say I was wheezing

and they ONCE again, took me out of there and wouldn't let me do the last scenario because I apparently couldn't handle it and it made me feel weak and embarrassed and OF course, people were asking me if i was okay and I went home crying

THIS doesn't happen often, The "wheezing" thing but This happened on the 2nd meeting at this place, when I thought...i could do the scenerio, I was nervous and I had to chase the guy down in the scenario and when I was done, I had that wheezing thing going on with me. When I sprint or something, I am completely fine but if i'm nervous before something and I do whatever, I do ....I start to have that wheezing thing going on

does anyone know why? and how to prevent it?

i've tried breathing in and out but It doesn't work at all. I've tried deep thinking and everything else but nothing has worked so far

2. inmyfantasy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To me it sounds like you could be having mild panic attacks... A close friend of mine reacts very similarly to a particular situation that stresses him out severely, and that was his diagnosis. My best advice would be to go and see a doctor about it.

3. MerBear

I can't, my dad believes, its only because im out of shape.
    he doesn't believe, I have anxiety

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two parts. Much might be a rerun or rehash of what you already know, but it wouldn't hurt to hear it again.

I don't know your whole backstory, but presumably you're not in police training because it sounded like something fun to try - you're actually attempting to come out on the other side of this as a member of a police force. And as such, this thing they're having you do isn't some sort of hazing ritual that they're putting you through. They're doing it because there's a good chance you'll have to actually DO all of this stuff in the line of duty. And that involves pulling the baton and ordering people around. You are going to need to try to take control of situations like that, and you're not going to be able to beg off on it because "I'm just not good at this". It's part of the job, and no matter how much you hate doing it, you'll have to give it a go.

So if you get to retake this stuff, you'll have to simply get into character. Your partner is no longer your partner. He's a menace to society, and he has to be taken down...and YOU have to take him down. By asserting your authority, pulling the baton, and pulling him down. And damnit, you're going to do just that. :slight_smile:

As to what to do when you feel your throat tighten, I sort of know where you're coming from. I sometimes get into positions like that. And when I do, what helps for me is to try to step outside everything. View what's happening not as a personal attack, but as a third-party observer. It's MerBear as the police-trainee, and Officer WhatsHisName as the man who has to talk to the trainee. Officer WhatsHisName's motivation is that he needs to make sure the recruits can handle this stuff, and MerBear hasn't gotten through it well, so he has to have this talk with her. If I can do that, it adds a layer of "objectivity", and I don't take anything as personally as I would. And when that happens, I don't panic as much, and I can give better answers.

Lex

5. MerBear

I dont know what I want. My dad put me into this program to have me do something and if I refuse, he is going to take away my computer and phone. I dont want to be in this program, I want to go and study criminology and transfer and see what i want then. THIS program is not for me

I just want to know, why it keeps happening when I get in those situations

6. castle walls

He may have put you in the program because, to most people, criminal justice/criminology = cop or lawyer. Of course, this isn’t true at all and there are plenty of jobs in the criminal justice world that are neither police officer nor lawyer. Just throwing out a possible reason why he might be pushing this program.

Anyway back to your original question, it sounds like you might have had a mild anxiety attack. This is a link from Anxiety and Depression Association of America with tips on managing anxiety. I've also heard that daily meditation can help people deal with anxiety. Also, progressive muscle relaxation may really help. This is a link from the American Medical Student Association that discusses how to do it. If you don't like written instructions, you can always search YouTube to find a script that you can listen to so you can follow along with that.

Best of luck!

7. MerBear

Thank You :grin:

I really do appreciate the links
    and i've considered being a detective but you have to be a cop before you can become a detective