1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Handling Pressure? Please Help!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ViolinGirl8, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ViolinGirl8

ViolinGirl8 Guest

So, I've always been one of those goody-two-shoes teacher's-pet types... you know, straight A's, etc. and I love it - I tend to enjoy working hard on things (like school) that other people my age would never consider fun. Teachers, parents, even the principal, have often commented that I am "wise beyond my years" and that I am one of the best learners they have ever seen.

However, all of this pressure is starting to wear down on me. I am trying out for a challenging orchestra this year, and on top of that I'm trying to skip a math class and go in to tenth grade level math in 8th grade (I'm going in to 7th grade now). I'm also expected to continue to run 3x a week and practice violin at least an hour a day. I have a website and blog that I have to continue to keep updated, and my friends understandably expect me to make time for them as well.

I know that most of you have much more difficult problems than mine, and are probably having to deal with a lot more. But I could really use help with this problem, no matter how petty it may seem.

So... how do you deal with pressure? Thank you!

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think two important things to help with pressure:

1) Good quality sleep every night
    2) Some regular 'down time' when you are doing something very simple and relaxing (and not related to all your tasks - you seem to have a lot on!!) Like hanging out with friends, reading fiction or watching TV

Also ... if you really think you are overwhelmed by it all, don't take on too much ..

3. yogurt

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey,
    this really sounds similar to someone I knew.
    She was really hardworking, enjoyed and loved studying in middle school to freshmen year, but in sophomore and junior year she took too much advanced classes and ended up failing most of them.

I think the most important advice would be don't give yourself too much pressure and know your limits. It's really important to try hard and do your best, but too much can build up and just break down.

And this might be really cliche but enjoy the little things.
    Highschool and middle school aren't SUPER DUPER important, so have alot fun ;D

4. Pocky

I'm trying my best not to yell at my laptop as I read this :bang: but nevertheless I'll add my two cents.

Do you find every one of these activities truly enjoyable? Are you having fun practicing for this orchestra? Do you receive pleasure from math?

I know what it's like to feel unchallenged but taking some time out to read a good book, watch tv etc. doesn't mean you're not fulfilling your own potential.
    If that isn't your cup of tea, take on something that challenges you in different ways. For example, yoga is both challenging but also relaxing.

It's all about balance. Too much of anything, even an intellectual pursuit - can be a bad thing.
    You don't have to throw it all away but perhaps you should think about holding off on the math class until you've made the orchestra, that sort of thing.

5. Nick07

You are thirteen...

Obviously, I don't know much about you, but I don't think it is good to be this busy and more importantly stressed at your age.

Do you know why you behave this way? To please your parents? Teachers? To prove that you can do that all? Does it give you a sense of control? Do you think that if somebody forced you to not do it all, it would be a huge problem for you? Does it give you feeling that you are a better person? How strong is your self-esteem?

I say again, I don't know you and I don't want the answers for the questions. I only hint that you perhaps compensate something this way. And it's probable that you will slowly escalate it and do more to feel more satisfied.

If you feel stressed for a long time, it is a sign to slow down a bit and take a break. There are illnesses that are caused by long lasting stress.

I would reconsider your schedule. Who wants you to skip the year and why? Is someone pushing you into it or do you want to show everybody how good you are? It possible that you will lost more than you gain.

6. ViolinGirl8

ViolinGirl8 Guest

Thank you all so much for all of your wonderful and thoughtful answers! I will use all of your wonderful advice. The first day of school was today, and knowing what to expect for the year helped to calm me down a bit. As for orchestra, auditions are soon and after that, if I do happen to make it, I suppose I will enjoy it since I love nothing more than the violin.

You are all amazing! Thank you!